Integral Designs Renaissance or North Twin

FatTexan

Renaissance - What temps have you slept comfortable in with this bag? I plan to layer with Patagonia DAS and Micropuff pants. I need to be able to sleep to about 0 or -5 F.

North Twin - Like the temp rating but bag is almost 4 lbs in the long that I need.

Are the temp ratings on the ID synthetic bags accurate?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a size L Renaissance. I've only used it a handful of times but for me, its 20 degree rating seems optimistic. I was in it last weekend, inside a tent, with good ground insulation, well-stocked on calories after an ample dinner, and felt a bit chilly in the last few hours of a night in the mid-30s. Of course everyone's physiology is different and there are many variables effecting comfort. I'm a lean 6' so don't retain heat well. Temp rating aside, I like the bag. It's spacious, well-made, and even though it's synthetic, seems to scrunch down to a reasonable size. I have lighter, snugger, smaller-packing down bags but appreciate the Primaloft insulation for its ability to cope with damp/wet conditions.

• 1 month later...

Could be wrong on this but I have heard from a few people that CAN sleeping bag temp ratings are a survival rating and not a comfort rating... that is the temp the bag is rated to is the lowest temp it can get and you will still wake up in the morning. ID is CAN based so you might want to contact them and see which one they use.