Paradise to Muir, October 27th?

TomXplorations

Hi, I was recommended to this site from backpacker.com. I am coming in from the north east for a few days for a business conference, and wanted to take the paradise route up to Muir and camp out overnight on the 26th to 27th. I am a very experienced hiker, and moderate climber. Obviously I would have to rent Crampons and snowshoes from Whittaker, but would there be any other reasons I wouldnt take that route in october? I have good cold weather gear. Also if anyone wants to come with, id be happy to give them a lift from the seattle area.

Edited by TomXplorations

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take wands and be prepared to spend the night on the snowfield if the weather deteriorates.

...Which it can fast this time of year. One time in November I spent hours in near-zero visibility going back to Paradise from Muir with just a compass bearing. Made it okay, but it was just unnerving not being able to see at all, and spending hours getting down what on a good day would be about an 80-minute run.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess its basically a 50/50 shot, ive been doing some research and saw pictures of people skiing on the Muir Snowfield in october in perfectly clear weather. Im going to kick it back to a day trip, and bring my snowboard to get back down to the bottom. I have a compass, and gps, so navigationally speaking I should be ok, as long as i bring a topo map and the "get your bearings" map with me.

Im ditching the crampons, since there will probably be too much snow on the ground to have them useful, ill keep my axe with just to help with self arresting in the event of a fall.

I would say weather is your best predictor of having a successful ski trip. I would error on the side of good to very clear weather, and be prepared for less than ideal ski conditions. Sometimes the snowfield turns into a trap crust/sastrugi field, or gets so windblown it's an ice field. Also be aware of the prevailing tendencies for people to follow the fall lines and end up on glaciers to either side of the main snowfield. Also be aware that the snowfield while relatively crevasse free does produce some small slots near the Muir hut.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

So far, the roads are open 24/7 but we have a big system heading our way. I will want to go if we can get into Paradise early, say 7AM at the latest. If we can't get past the gate at Longmire until 9AM it is not worth the 2.5 hour drive each way.