Crazy Permit Fines

Blake

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, from my many conversations with them, that they have fought hard to make the permit process easy, including making it possible to 'self permit' after hours, in direct support to climbers. Is that possible in Grand Canyon, for example? I kinda don't think so. And they have fought hard to keep the permits free; just two years ago, they overcame efforts to impose a permit fee. This is a climber's park, for all practical purposes - the rangers know it, and they really do make a sincere effort to support it and keep it that way.

I really appreciate any efforts made to keep the permits free and the after-hours thing is great, too.

:tup:

what's up with that 5mph speeding ticket?! how often does that happen? unbelievable. I do that and worse all the time, thinking I am safe in a group. better stop since I'm still <12 months from my last deferment.

dan, do you think you were going a lot more than 5 over and he just wrote you up for that to be nice? or was that really the random act of tyranny it sounds like?

Edited by ClimbingPanther

I look at my speedometer pretty often because I know that I can't afford tickets and learned early on that I have bad luck on the freeway from getting a ticket and a couple of warnings, so I almost never go more than 5 over. I'm more likely driving 5 under these days. But on the other hand when I am in a group of cars going over the limit I don't really worry about it, so I don't know. At first I thought that the cop had mistaken me for one of the cars that had just wizzed by me (one was the same color), but that doesn't seem likely. I heard somewhere that with the new driving laws they will pull people over for going 3 over the limit, when before it would be pretty rare to get pulled over as long as you were not going more than 5 over.

I look at my speedometer pretty often because I know that I can't afford tickets and learned early on that I have bad luck on the freeway from getting a ticket and a couple of warnings, so I almost never go more than 5 over. I'm more likely driving 5 under these days. But on the other hand when I am in a group of cars going over the limit I don't really worry about it, so I don't know. At first I thought that the cop had mistaken me for one of the cars that had just wizzed by me (one was the same color), but that doesn't seem likely. I heard somewhere that with the new driving laws they will pull people over for going 3 over the limit, when before it would be pretty rare to get pulled over as long as you were not going more than 5 over.

I don't know what you mean by "new driving laws" but many years ago I was told the state patrol goes after only crazy speeders because the faster you go, the more unsafe you are. They wait for people going heinous speeds. While they write a ticket for 63 in a 60 zone, they'll be passed by 3 cars going 80, so they ignore the easy prey to wait for the fat game.

I was told that up to 9 mph over and they don't care. I have always followed the '9 over' rule and *never* been pulled over. I tested my speedometer: it registers 4 high (speedo reads 60, actual speed 56) so I set my cruise control on 73 (actual speed 69) and routinely pass through radar traps on the highway. In 70 mph zones I set the cruise on 83 (actual speed 79). I have never been stopped or looked at. Obviously in the city, 39 in a 30 zone is a different matter---the 9 over rule is for highways.

Edited by builder206

I don't know what you mean by "new driving laws" but many years ago I was told the state patrol goes after only crazy speeders because the faster you go, the more unsafe you are. They wait for people going heinous speeds. While they write a ticket for 63 in a 60 zone, they'll be passed by 3 cars going 80, so they ignore the easy prey to wait for the fat game.

Turns out the new laws I spoke of aren't real. I just searched for them and came up with this: http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/california.asp My grandpa sent it to me and it was right when they made driving while talking on the phone illegal so I figured it was true. Anyway, at this point I'd be afraid to drive 9 over the limit.