Crazy Permit Fines

Blake

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please name the judge. It would be the correct thing to do for every voter that reads this site to put a campaign sign in their front yard for that judge's opponent on his next re-election bid.

Federal Judges are appointed, not voted into their positions.

I just read the link that Nolse posted where you guys got paid for a picture and you said it wouldn't cover the fine you got then too. Not that I am any advocate for paying to access public lands but, c'mon--don't you guys learn anything?

Sounds like the judge increased the fine because the statutory penalty clearly wasn't much of a deterrant for you.

Please name the judge. It would be the correct thing to do for every voter that reads this site to put a campaign sign in their front yard for that judge's opponent on his next re-election bid.

Federal Judges are appointed, not voted into their positions.

I just read the link that Nolse posted where you guys got paid for a picture and you said it wouldn't cover the fine you got then too. Not that I am any advocate for paying to access public lands but, c'mon--don't you guys learn anything?

Sounds like the judge increased the fine because the statutory penalty clearly wasn't much of a deterrant for you.

Now THAT was an intelligent post. Thanks, Rob. :tup:

Still, sorry to hear about the fine, Blake. :tdown:

regardless, the initial ticket-writing tool wins the dick of the day award and i can't see how my mind would ever be changed on that count

I don't see how you can say this.

Though I don't know the exact specifics of the ticketing, there's nothing posted here that indicates the ranger was exceeding his mandate. He was just doing his job. Just like you were doing when you turned in that student's I-Pod to the authorities. In both cases the rule that was being enforced are not obviously terrible or illegal. It's part of the job, and taking that job knowing you have to enforce this kind of stuff does not make you evil or a dick.

But since you're venting, here's a story someone shared with me:

I was going to bed the other night when my wife told me that I had left the light on in the shed. She could see from the bedroom window. As I looked for myself, I saw that there were people in the shed taking things.

I phoned the police, and they told me that no one was in the area to help at this time, but they would send someone over as soon as they were available.

I said "OK," hung up, and waited one minute, then phoned the police back. "Hello. I just called you a minute ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now 'cause I've shot them." Within five minutes there were half a dozen police cars in the area, an Armed Response unit, the works. Of course, they caught the burglars red-handed. One of the officers said: "I thought you said that you shot them!" I replied, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

Now this made me laugh. Well done.

Exit 38.

regardless, the initial ticket-writing tool wins the dick of the day award and i can't see how my mind would ever be changed on that count

Are you a tool when you enforce the rules of your school?

good question - you've had plenty of teachers in your life - did the good ones enforce every rule the school had, or the ones that are clearly important? did they enforce the rules in a manner that was human and benevolent, or cruel and capricious? i have bad days of course, and no doubt am occasionally malevolent - in retrospect i gotta be able to admit when i'm being a tool too - but when a kid comes into my room wearing a hat or their i-pod falls on the floor, i rarely write them up for it (the ipod case mentioned above was one where, in looking at the contents, i saw evidence of really bad stuff going on which was out of my league to deal with)

the penalty exacted seems imho excessive and, in similar situations in my class, i'd have just given 8-ball a warning - we all call things as we see'em, and i'm probably just a soft-on-crime-bleeding-heart-liberal :)

Edited by ivan

The judge may have been cruel and capricious but I don't think the Ranger was necessarily being so. As you were jsut doing your job enforcing the penalties, so was the Ranger. I'll bet that Ranger wasn't issuing citations to everyone and, perhaps, there was something about this situation that made it warranted to the Ranger--just as you saw something which elevated the penalty in the case you refer to (which I admittedly know nothing about but, as an aside, isn't looking at the contents of the students ipod a violation of his/her constitutional rights? What kind of liberal are you? HA!)

The Judge on the other hand was excessive--but I know here in Oregon that the traffic court judges have started increasing fines for people who plead guilty yet take up the courts time with personal appearances in the hopes of reducing their fine instead of just paying the fine.

i guess my take was that the ranger could issue a warning instead of a citation in the sense that i frequently give warnings, not discipline referals - i wasn't there though, and maybe blake was being an asshole?

the ipod was on and being looked at when i went to confiscate it, adn the girl initially refused and was very adamant about turning it off, which is why i pursued it

blake, simply put you f'ed yourself. ever heard the phrase "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law?" notice it says CAN and WILL ... and unfortunately in your case WAS. which totally sucks, but hopefully you learned something from the process. which i can almost guarantee you is just what the judge wants and why he increased your fine.

In Missoula, I was a local boy and saved the life of another local boy who was the son of a man who became chief of police.

The two times I needed a favor, he called in a local judge who simply dismissed everything without even reviewing it.

The same judge was known for exceedingly stiff fines unless you totally kissed his ....

He rarely listened to everything that was said.

He just went by attitude. He was very old and had been a judge since before I was even born. Maybe there is some wisdom to his ways....

...the ipod case mentioned above was one where, in looking at the contents, i saw evidence of really bad stuff going on which was out of my league to deal with...

OK, I'm really intrigued by this anecdote. I did a 4-year search back through the archives with "i-pod" in subject and body, and "ivan" as the username, and only came up with this thread that we're all reading right now.

So spill, ivan. Enquiring minds wanna know what was on that 'pod.

edit: nevermind. spell it without the "-" and it comes up. the highlight of my day

Edited by sobo

The Judge on the other hand was excessive--but I know here in Oregon that the traffic court judges have started increasing fines for people who plead guilty yet take up the courts time with personal appearances in the hopes of reducing their fine instead of just paying the fine.

I was thinking about that. How often do you hear people bellyaching about the tool hassling them for (insert petty offence here) when they should be out busting the real criminals. To play devils advocate, maybe the judge was sitting on the bench thinking who's this kid in my court room taking up the publics time and money to plead guilty when I could be busting some real criminals. . .

That being said it still really sucks to get your fine increased, especially that much. You would think there should be some sort of cap for that kind of thing.

...the ipod case mentioned above was one where, in looking at the contents, i saw evidence of really bad stuff going on which was out of my league to deal with...

OK, I'm really intrigued by this anecdote. I did a 4-year search back through the archives with "i-pod" in subject and body, and "ivan" as the username, and only came up with this thread that we're all reading right now.

So spill, ivan. Enquiring minds wanna know what was on that 'pod.

edit: nevermind. spell it without the "-" and it comes up. the highlight of my day

fun addendum - i later meet the woman pictured on the ipod who was mortified about the whole thing - the coke snorting photos were apparently staged for a class project (yeah right!)

Amen.

----------------------

Are we sure it is a federal judge?

----------------------

Blake, I feel your pain.

Keep up the good climbs.

I don't understand why they even issue fines for failing to get a free permit. Why not just issue Blake et. al a permit from the backcountry, instead of a fine? :confused:

Unless they're looking to make money from the fines, that is. :/

THEY DON'T MAKE A DAMN CENT OFF OF FINES, PEOPLE!!!!!