Motivation Waning

KaskadskyjKozak

I used to be a weather wuss. Then I put fenders on my bike and bought some lobster gloves. Now, I bike 75-100 miles a week, year-round. Knowing the black ice is lurking out there sucks, but, other than that, riding in the wet and cold is good in it's own way.

You get to experience the power of the season head-on: the November wind whipping your face, the smell of leaves rotting, the sting of rain when it hits you on that 30mph down-hill, the taste of roadspray. Best of all, the looks of pity and amazement you get from folks huddled behind glass in their heated cars...makes you feel like you're a wild thing.

There's some good energy out there, all for the taking. Now get on your bike and get some for yourself! :tup:

yeah, I had about 5 weeks of that last winter. I'm just not looking forward to doing it again. This time I gotta do it through Nov and Dec too. Let's hope for less crazy weather - the snow in December really killed my bike commuting.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a weather wuss. Then I put fenders on my bike and bought some lobster gloves. Now, I bike 75-100 miles a week, year-round. Knowing the black ice is lurking out there sucks, but, other than that, riding in the wet and cold is good in it's own way.

You get to experience the power of the season head-on: the November wind whipping your face, the smell of leaves rotting, the sting of rain when it hits you on that 30mph down-hill, the taste of roadspray. Best of all, the looks of pity and amazement you get from folks huddled behind glass in their heated cars...makes you feel like you're a wild thing.

There's some good energy out there, all for the taking. Now get on your bike and get some for yourself! :tup:

yeah, I had about 5 weeks of that last winter. I'm just not looking forward to doing it again.

Me neither. But resistance is futile. The days are already cold and wet. I gave up wishing for an indian summer and just ordered new thermal socks. :cry:

another idea is to go get some fun new stuff for you or the bike. i find that when i change soemthing on my bike, i am more excited to go and test it out in the nastiest conditions. for example. i just got new leg warmers and am stoked to go for a ride now.

just remember to go down the lane and not across the street. oh, whoops

eh, anyone have a cheap cyclocross/touring frame? I need something with more clearance for fenders/fatter tires. Burke Gilman construction has slashed 2 tires in 3 months.

If you've got the clearance fenders + fat tires make life nice. I never had a problem with feet; ski gloves for your hands.

If you get one of those Kevlar-type tires, you may not have to go fatter. The Continental Gran Prix 4000 tires seem to hold up to most sharp-object assaults. Only thing that has punctured them on my rides is construction staples.

"The Grand Prix 4000 works on every road surface, transforming the demands of different styles of riding and supplies extremely long-term performance. It also achieves expectations in precision and production quality. The new reference standard for racing tyres. The new puncture resistance Vectran breaker belt, developed and patented by Continental, surpasses even the famous puncture resistance of the former leader in this category, the GP3000. The extremely strong Vectran fabrics are more flexible and lighter than all other puncture protection materials. Vectran offers more resistance to cuts than Aramid, is five times as strong as steel and features less weight than a nylon double breaker. It also maintains strength in the wet. The advanced Activated Silica Compound (ASC) increases the handling threshold for even safer yet faster cornering and reduces the rolling resistance of the Grand Prix 4000. A new anti-cracking formula prevents UV light from damaging the compound and increases the mileage performance. Features new tread wear indicators to help riders gauge the life of their GP4000 tyre. On the one hand you don't lose mileage performance by prematurely replacing the tyre and on the other you don't risk safety by using the tyre beyond its tread service life."

If you get one of those Kevlar-type tires, you may not have to go fatter.

I've tried that, the other reason to go fatter is to stop destroying wheels. I'm not small and have a penchant for killing rear wheels. A spinning class would probably help, so would some extra protection from root branches/pavement breaks.

another idea is to go get some fun new stuff for you or the bike. i find that when i change soemthing on my bike, i am more excited to go and test it out in the nastiest conditions. for example. i just got new leg warmers and am stoked to go for a ride now.

I concur! :brew:

• 3 weeks later...
Suck it up Buttercup! ;)

[chestbeat] I rode 1000 miles a month for two years as a courier.[/chestbeat]

Income is a great motivator :tup:

Bump.

Indeed. I've sucked it up. Friday's ride home sucked ass. The crosswind on the I-90 bridge was fierce and I had to slow to half my normal pace. I've thrown off my sissy ways and am back to loving the suffering of fall/winter riding. I rode today as well, but NO RAIN. WTF? Bring it on, beyotch!

Suck it up Buttercup! ;)

You must not have ever made it past journeyman status. Otherwise you would have been given the tight routes by dispatchers. 50 miles a day seems a bit for an experienced messenger. After a few months and the dispatchers knew I could keep the routes and sequence well and put me on the A list for tight routes - more money.

Where you being sent to the boonies for 2 yrs or what?

KK- extra kudos to you. The bridge must have been very interesting - you must have gotten hosed. I was drenched on my relative short route.

Suck it up Buttercup! ;)

Bump.

Indeed. I've sucked it up. Friday's ride home sucked ass. The crosswind on the I-90 bridge was fierce and I had to slow to half my normal pace. I've thrown off my sissy ways and am back to loving the suffering of fall/winter riding. I rode today as well, but NO RAIN. WTF? Bring it on, beyotch!

Get any new gear?

[

Get any new gear?

new jacket and waterproof helmet cover - worn once (Fri)

arm warmers - worn about 5 times so far

waterproof gloves - wore this morning, but it was too warm for them

I still need to pick up fenders and probably a better light. Mine sucks on dark stretches of the trail and some poorly-lit back streets.

Its pretty damn funny that the guy who thinks waterboarding is "nowhere near the level of torture," also thinks he's a hero for riding his bike in the rain! :lmao:

Actually, that is kinda funny now that you mention it.

1) I stated that I felt waterboarding IS torture

2) Having a light-hearted thread, with non-political bent would be nice for once

3) I never stated I was a hero for riding my bike in the rain

No 13.: go fuck yourself