Winter Eyewear recommendations

rodeo

Hey all,

I am looking for recommendations on glacier glasses. They do need to be RX friendly, meaning I have to get them set up for my vision prescription. I'd rather not be having to deal with contact lens stuff up there on the hill.

I'm quite happy with my Julbo's but I haven't seen where I can get them done for a prescription setup.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

(--Climb on,,,

Rodeo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodeo -

Don't sweat it. I rarely use sunglasses in the winter because even on those (few) sunny days, the sun is so low in the sky that it doesn't get all that bright and I am often pursuing powder or ice on a northern aspect where the brightness is even less than on the south slopes. If spending a whole day on the south facing Muir Snowfield I might use them, but otherwise sunscreen and sunglasses rarely come out of my pack before March or so.

Even in the summer time, I get by with normal sunglasses rather than "glacier glasses" though if I climb Mt. Rainier or travel accross an icefield I will add duct tape side guards or wear a triangular bandage babuska style to keep out the side light.

I'm thinking of getting a photogrey lense on a pair of regular glasses, and I bet that these will do just fine -- short of going to Orizaba or something.

[ 11-19-2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: mattp ]

bring Julbo frames into optometrist, ask for double gradient, mirror coat, polarized glass lenses, gets you out of there for 130 or so for lenses, plus what you've paid for the Julbos. I've done this for three pairs over twenty years and have been not going blind yet.

I don't reccommend Opticus or mail order houses as their lenses are suitable, but not the real deal.

hey, i've done the math, at opticus you don't get double gradient, you don't get glass, you don't get polarizers.

REI sells RX glacier glass frames for $19.95

and bringing frames into RX, you get julbos, from YOUR eyedoctor. under 200 ducats.

[ 11-19-2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Beck ]

You can buy these "night and day" contacts that you leave in overnight for up to a month [Eek!] . They let more O2 through the contact so they breath better. I've left my regular contacts in for 15 days and didn't have a problem. Contacts save fogging up regular glasses and cleaning them. You also don't have to worry about losing glasses when you faceplant. I'm never taking glasses again [Cool] .

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

hey, i've done the math, at opticus you don't get double gradient, you don't get glass, you don't get polarizers.

REI sells RX glacier glass frames for $19.95

and bringing frames into RX, you get julbos, from YOUR eyedoctor. under 200 ducats.

Most Optometrists can't get the lenses as dark as Glacier Glasses. Rx Oakleys run as much as Glacier Glasses.

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

"i've been getting glacier glasses from any personal optometrist for the last twenty years in Julbo frames I bring in, and they have NO PROBLEM getting you high altitude, dual gradient, mirror finish polarized glass lenses for around 125 ducats.

[Roll Eyes] I've not been so lucky - and tried several optometrists. 93% ref lenses aren't particularly standard in most parts of the world. Opticus was easy to find and the glasses didn't take a trip back to the optometrist to get recoated because they weren't dark enough.

[ 11-21-2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: cj001f ]

If you can use the disposable contacts that is the way to go, IMHO. My fav new sunglasses (since they stopped making polarized glass SunClouds) are the Costa Del Mar wraparound style. Polarized glass, mirror finish, awesome crispy. You might need some kind of hat to block out the last bit of top/side light. You would probably be wearing one anyway.

Otherwise googles over glasses are the way to go if you can't handle the overnight contacts.