Winter Rock Options

spotly

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for some route options for this winter. A trip to get a winter rock fix. So far we've come up with Solar Slab at Red Rocks as a good one. Any other recommendations? Something mild to moderate; multipitch; warm enough to keep away the screaming barfies.

Since the rotator continues to be an issue, I think easy (5.7 or lower) would be the best option.

We're thinking maybe 4 days including travel, which would most likely be flying....on a plane :)

Cochise Stronghold is a great option for <5.8 lines. Eg's: Moby Dick (soft 5.8), What's My Line (5.6 A0), Wasteland (5.8). For Red Rocks, I'd add Group Therapy & Healy's Haunted House next to Tunnel V. All 3 are 5.7 and sunny. Olive Oil 5.7, Johny Vegas 5.6 are also sunny I think. I think UT desert has fewer interesting options sub 5.9 but plenty of amazing aid lines to consider.

I've had shirtless climbing in the sun, moderately clothed long route climbing in the full shade, and ice climbing in Red Rocks around x-mas. Unless it snows or rains for days, it's fine: you can always find sun. Get the newest guide (not a select or supertopo) by I think Roxanna Brock, which has laods of good old-school moderates. Also the first Urioste guide is good.

J-tree, same weather, just be prepared to change plans the morning of, depending on wind.

• 1 month later...

We did J-tree last year the week before Christmas... first day there was so cold I couldn't climb up at Real Hidden Valley, and the overnights gave a whole new meaning to chilly, but it wasn't anything two sleeping bags, two layers of wool, three layers of fleece and a costco pack of instant heaters couldn't handle. We were there five days, I think, and it got progressively warmer each day & night. Day two we woke up to snow, but then went down about a thousand feet and climbed in t-shirts and shorts at Indian Cove that same day. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of route names/etc. on that trip so my report isn't super helpful, but it was a really lovely time, and I can't wait to get back there.

We're doing red rocks this December, so thanks for all the tips on here. I am thinking about a Smith thanksgiving trip, so if we do it, I'll post a weather assessment after...

GG

http://www.rockclimbergirl.com

I have done Jtree in Nov, Dec. and Feb.

Here's what i recall:

I have been coldest in feb., with the wind making it very difficult to function.

Dec. (right around xmas) was real cold at night (down jacket is key), but every day was warm enough to climb, no snow that year.

early nov was the best weather- shorts on some days, little wind, warm enough to climb every day and night's were very comfortable.

so, it just depends on the year, but its always worth a shot!

Get new guidebook for red rocks. a lot of moderate longer routes went up. we did a climb called Birdland. 6 pitches of 5.7, bolted belays, set up for raps with 70m rope!

also in arizona there are 2 places to visit about 1h30min outside of Flagstaff. they are called The Pit and Jacks Canyon. Bolted limestone with a lot of routes in 10 and 11 range. a mix bag of ratings- some give-aways, some not so much. the great thing about these places is that the camping is free for now. bring your water though!