Winter Rock Options

spotly

Looking for some route options for this winter. A trip to get a winter rock fix. So far we've come up with Solar Slab at Red Rocks as a good one. Any other recommendations? Something mild to moderate; multipitch; warm enough to keep away the screaming barfies.

Since the rotator continues to be an issue, I think easy (5.7 or lower) would be the best option.

We're thinking maybe 4 days including travel, which would most likely be flying....on a plane :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to get a trip off the ground for late January and need some input if anyone can offer some.

Waterguy mentioned Arizona. I've heard about Mt. Lemmon and it looks like a good option. Has anyone been there in January? Or any other good recommendations for late January? I've heard that J-tree is often cold and windy in January and Red Rocks the same plus sometimes wet.

I know almost any place can be great or grim, and you never know what you're gonna get until you get there, but want to go with the best odds if I can find 'em.

Mt Lemmon is about 7,000 feet above the valley floor and would likely be a poor choice if you're seeking warm, sunny winter rock....

Go to J Tree! But beware the wind there.... I lived in the NW for years and never even owned down jackets until I started climbing at J Tree.... the place can be chilly!

Red Rocks is also windy, and shade is to be avoided, but there is lots to do there I am sure in the winter.

Of course, there's always Cochise....

Indian Creek in UT is also kinda high and can be chilly in January.

I think J Tree meets your needs the best, honestly. PM me if you'd like some specifics.

I went to Red Rocks and did Olive Oil in January a couple years back and climbed almost the whole thing without a shirt on. Definitely a good winter option.

Sedona, AZ is also a good place to check out in the winter. I had a friend who was living in Flagstaff and I would go visit him every December and hang out to climb. Only once in three years did the weather turn on us. The only downside of Sedona is that there isn't much under 5.8 if you are looking for something moderate.

Really? My buddy knew the area so I just kind of went where he said and never even looked at the guide. Thats pretty funny though. I obviously have limited experience as I was only climbing there a couple times, but I don't remember the routes we did as being particularly sketchy.

vantage is climbed year rounds as is spokane rock...save money , drink beer, and ice climb,,,,

Does ice stick well to graffiti? All seriousness aside though, if this rotator continues to mend, I wouldn't mind trying some ice this winter.

But, I want some warmish rock too :cool: