GNP backcountry skiing

Maine-iac

Hey all, i am planing a trip into the park in early December, i was wondering if anybody had any beta on what the skiing was like. I plan on entering the park in West Glacier, and over the next week or two trekking down towards Essex. I might think about trying to get deep into the park, but i guess that depends on the snow. This would generally be a ski touring trip, but i will be bringing alpine skis/skins and possibly some climbing gear. Any info would be a great help.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maine-iac - Be sure to get ahold of Don the owner of Rocky Mountain Outfitters in Kalispel, MT. He is a literal well of backcountry info in regards to Glacier and the surrounding areas.

He has dozens of winter summits with ski descents. He has been photographed in one of the local backcountry ski guides. I remember one particular shot where he's pictured thigh deep in gorgeous pow descending from the Sperry Glacier area into the Lake Ellen Wilson basin.

- Sam