Bobbi Bensman

pope

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's the question. You fellows approve? Obviously, natural is better, other variables being equal. But what if they're not quite up to par? Would you encourage your woman to have the job done, say you had a couple of extra gran sitting around? And if this question causes you great ethical concerns, how might these issues parallel the creative efforts of sport climbers to "improve" a cliff, with bolts and buckets and pockets? Do similar arguments apply, or is there an appreciable difference here?

i think that if I had a perfectly flat chest like Bobbi did before the surgery, and I had the dough sitting around to do it, I would. But, I don't think I would have taken it to the extreme. I guess if you are going under the knife, go for your dreams, but I think my dream would be to be "normal" and she chose something pretty flashy.

But, now Bobbi has created an interesting topic for us. It seems like to me that its been so long since she did this I wouldn't even think of it...I wonder what brought this subject to Pope's mind...

You know that song from "A Chorus Line" Dance 10, Looks 3? I guess if she's trying to make a living in the climbing spotlight, publishing books and such, anything she can do to increase the appeal might be considered a good idea. Ultimately, it's up to her, and people like hollyclimber (other women climbers) have a lot more to say about it than us guys.

Personally, the idea of encouraging the woman in your life to get plastic surgery to make her more like what YOU want seems pretty selfish. But that's my own prejudice. Besides, if it makes her look a lot more desirable than she does now, why would she keep hanging around with YOU?

I don't understand what the point is. Everyone knows they're fake. Even if she wasn't a well-known person, most people can tell they're fake by looking at them, its so tacky, like wearing way too much makeup. Bobby Boobsman has always struck me as somewhat ditzy and superficial. She gave slide show a couple years ago in Missoula, and got heckled the whole time. She would say shit like, "you can't call yourself a climber unless you've climbed in Yosemite." People were yelling "Bullshit" at her right in the middle of her presentation. Kind of rude, but kind of funny.

I met Bobbi about a decade ago at a Beanfest(she stayed at my house afterwards for a few days with her climbing partners rejuvenating for more climbing on Mt. Lemmon --I lived in Tucson at the time). My impression was that she's a unique person --some might even say eccentric (but most full-time climbers can be classified that way, IMHO). She does what she does, and nobody's hurt by it. It's pretty harmless.

RE: breast enlargment. For all of you ladies considering such an operation, it is a lot cheaper and less painful to have the words "low self-esteem" tattooed across your forehead. And for those of you men, boyfriends, husbands, etc. who are coaxing your girlfriends and wives to get enlarged for your own pleasure, you are self-centered jackasses! Why should you ladies care what some man thinks about your chest? Here's a big secret: many men like, if not prefer, small tops, and most are just happy to be in the vicinity, regardless of the size. And the small ones will stay perky long after the big girls are tucking theirs into the waistbands of their sweatpants.

Besides, most fake "boobs" look fake, even from a distance.

So, I would suggest that you save some time and money:

Save some time by concentrating on developing positive relationships with people who aren't superficial;

Save some money: the shekels it would cost for an enhancement could probably fund your climbing career for some time.

Bobbi B.?: poor role-modeling for young women in this regard.

just my opinion, Dwayner

Nothing better than a couple bomber handholds. Hey, maybe her husband wanted to do some bouldering with a short approach. Or maybe she wanted to do some solo climbing close to home. Regardless, I wouldn't mind tackling the summit block.

Anyway, I'm guessing these photos were taken "after":

bobbi.jpg

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 07-08-2001).]

Lest anyone think I'm a HUGE hypocrite on this modification issue, being a member of the Pacific Northwest Amateur Mohel and Drinking Society and all: I talked pope out of having a unit reduction. "Just tuck the dang deal into your sock and get on with your life", I said, although he claims he gets a lot of nasty scratches when he's bushwacking in his shorts.