MSR Simmerlight?

Rodchester

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I did not. I have a Pocket Rocket, and XGK II, and a Dragonfly.

I would seriously lok at it though in place of the Dragonfly. The XGK II is the mountaineering, melt snow stove, and it will always be that. The Pocket Rocket is the fast and light, warm up water stove. (hard to beat I might add).

Now the Dragonfly strikes me as a nice stove, but too heavy. Simmers great, but it doesn't put out the BTUs that the XGK III does, yet it is heavy.

There are times when you want a liquid fuel stove (efficiency is much better), but you want to actually cook (need to simmer), not just burn-burn-burn like many of the MSR liquid fuel stoves.

This struck me as one hell of a stove to fill that need.

Anyone use this thing yet? I have yet to hear anything on it. confused.gif

Good Luck.... wave.gif

Rodchester said:

Anyone use the MSR Simmerlight? Opinions?

Weight: It's only about 2 oz lighter than the Whisperlite.

Design: The bending of the fuel tube is a little off, so my stove doesn't sit flat (adding a pot of water fixes that) and the inlet plastic tube in the bottle isn't at a low point so the stove peters out before all the fuel is gone. The top nut on the stove came from the factory loose, so on my first trip, the stove turned into a fireball. Tightening it has fixed that problem so far.

Simmering: The flame is adjustable to some degree, but since I don't 'cook' on the stove, I can't qualify it.

Attitude said:

Rodchester said:

Anyone use the MSR Simmerlight? Opinions?

Weight: It's only about 2 oz lighter than the Whisperlite.

Design: The bending of the fuel tube is a little off, so my stove doesn't sit flat (adding a pot of water fixes that) and the inlet plastic tube in the bottle isn't at a low point so the stove peters out before all the fuel is gone. The top nut on the stove came from the factory loose, so on my first trip, the stove turned into a fireball. Tightening it has fixed that problem so far.

Simmering: The flame is adjustable to some degree, but since I don't 'cook' on the stove, I can't qualify it.

There is a much bigger difference than 2oz between the two. Try more like 5 or 6oz. Overall I like my simmerlight much more. i got rid of my whisperlight. the simmerlight doesn't simmer really well like the dragonfly but it does it good enough and is well worth the weight savings. It's also quiet like the whisperlight so you can actually talk to somebody while it's running.

There is a much bigger difference than 2oz between the two. Try more like 5 or 6oz.

Huh?

From the MSR web page... the minimum weight of the Simmerlite is 8.5 oz. The minimum weight of the Whisperlite Shaker is 11 oz. So the difference in weight between the two stoves is 2.5 oz. The difference in "packaged weight" (less relevant) between the stoves is even smaller, 2.3 oz.

Even the fatty XGK is not 5-6 oz heaver than the Simmerlite. It is only 3.5 oz heavier (and for those extra ounces you get another 2000 BTU of heating over the simmerlite, at max efficiency).

http://www.msrcorp.com

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey

Stephen_Ramsey said:

There is a much bigger difference than 2oz between the two. Try more like 5 or 6oz.

Huh?

From the MSR web page... the minimum weight of the Simmerlite is 8.5 oz. The minimum weight of the Whisperlite Shaker is 11 oz. So the difference in weight between the two stoves is 2.5 oz. The difference in "packaged weight" (less relevant) between the stoves is even smaller, 2.3 oz.

Even the fatty XGK is not 5-6 oz heaver than the Simmerlite. It is only 3.5 oz heavier (and for those extra ounces you get another 2000 BTU of heating over the simmerlite, at max efficiency).

Fine, believe what you want. I had them both, I weighed them both, it's a much bigger difference than 2oz.

JoshK said:

Stephen_Ramsey said:

Huh?

Fine, believe what you want. I had them both, I weighed them both, it's a much bigger difference than 2oz.

I went to REI, grabbed their display models (stove + small bottle) for the Simmerlite and Whisperlite and headed over to their scales by the tents. The difference in weight was about 2 oz. wave.gif