Death Penalty

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to interrupt your regularly scheduled dose of righteous indignation, but . . .

Considering the fact that most child sex abusers are themselves victims of sex abuse, the person you eagerly anticipate killing is sometimes the same person you're trying to protect.

Why is then that most victims of sex abuse are female and most abusers are male?

are you serious? Look anywhere you want. Here is a sample:

It is estimated that as many as 40 million Americans, one in six people, experienced sexual victimization as children.

• 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 7 boys will be sexually victimized before age 18.

• The most common ages of children when sexual abuse occurs are between 8 and 12.

• Child sexual abuse is seldom a one-time occurrence, and lasts and average of 1 to 4 years.

• 75% to 80% of all children assaulted or abused were victimized by someone they knew.

• One of five rape victims is under age 12; 10% of all are under age 5.

• Over 80% of offenders first offended by the age of 30 years.

http://www.turningpointservices.org/csastats.htm

This is a common topic discussed in groups working with adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Those survivors live with the stigma of the abuse, and then have to live with the stigma that they too may turn out to be abusers. Although this is sometimes true with male survivors, it is far more rare with female survivors. Folks have been examining why in hopes that somehow male survivors can be treated, recognized, supported in such a way as to lessen the chance of becoming abusers themselves.

are you serious? Look anywhere you want. Here is a sample:

It is estimated that as many as 40 million Americans, one in six people, experienced sexual victimization as children.

• 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 7 boys will be sexually victimized before age 18.

• The most common ages of children when sexual abuse occurs are between 8 and 12.

• Child sexual abuse is seldom a one-time occurrence, and lasts and average of 1 to 4 years.

• 75% to 80% of all children assaulted or abused were victimized by someone they knew.

• One of five rape victims is under age 12; 10% of all are under age 5.

• Over 80% of offenders first offended by the age of 30 years.

http://www.turningpointservices.org/csastats.htm

That's a frightening set of statistics. Anyone know how those statistics travel culturally? (is it just that the US is this screwed up or is it part of the human condition?)

That's an interesting question. I wonder what type of efforts are going on in areas like Haiti or Bolivia.

I do know I have read some incredibly frightening stuff on the UN site and related sites that work with women and children in war-torn areas. It makes me cry--and I don't cry too easily.

I've seen some pretty ugly numbers coming out of Africa. The things going on there just sicken the soul.

How about other relatively stable countries though? Canada, Europe, Japan....

Still not a fan of the Death Penalty though for many reasons, both practical and social. That said, he should never be a free man again.