First Index 9

rob

Nabbed my first 9 lead yesterday on Roger's Corner. :rawk: It probably doesn't seem like much to you hardmen out there ;) but I've been pushing myself hard all year to reach this goal before the season ended.

So now I figure I've earned a good spray about it.

Thanks, Lukic, for the patient belay. I had some....thoughtful moments.

Gotta keep pushing it! I wanna lead some of the gendarme pitches on Stuart NR next year.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go, man! Good job.

Believe it or not, I can still remember my first 5.7 lead. I can remember the pro (1 1/2 inch angle) and the beautiful afternoon light on the rock.

In this sport it doesn't matter what "hard men" think. It's about you reaching your goals and the effort you put in.

Sweet, dude! I know how you feel.

That mighta been my first 9 at Index. I remember vacillating forever in that awkward pod before the steepness, then pulling through up the slimy thin hands crack left of the big flake. Don't know what I was thinking. Sketchy!

Then when I'd just pulled out of the pod I was stopped dead. A cam on the rack had gotten caught in the sling I'd placed at the stance, so I had to reverse the moves and do it again. I made that one a bit harder than it needs to be!

Congratz. Cool to see someone so stoked moving through the grades at Index. Now you've got a good dozen classics to work through at your new level.

Rob, if you want to lead "some of the gendarme pitches" then you'd lead the whole thing. The entire gendarme is only ~55m, so one or two pitches. Good job. I think index is generally well protected, perfect rock, with clean fall potential. A good place to try climbs at your limit in my opinion.

I've done much better than 9s in the past, but right now after a long period of being injured I'm happy to say I led a 5.6 at E38. I hope to do a lead at Index this year....maybe a 5.7

I can understand that. After a long illness, a month in bed and the last week in the hospital I was able to walk the dogs around the block and was plenty happy to be able to do that.