How many lead falls can a rope take?

Jamin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just kidding, I do OK.

I will admit to falling on a 10a crack at Beacon 'bout a month or so ago. Pretty surprised. I chalk it up to age and not paying attention. Joseph caught me, the funny part is he was telling me about catching another fall of some old timer's at that very location at the start of the day. Ivan and Dan saw it from a few ledges over and I had to endure that cackling. I will say only that I did better than Stewart though in that his fall on the same crack when he broke his foot must have been a 60+ footer or so from the sounds of it.

The skinny ropes really do wear out quicker.

Many sport climbers put about 2-3 falls a day when sport climbing (warmups, onsights, and projecting) I buy about 1 rope a year for sport climbing. I usually buy a 70m and cut it down at both ends as it gets beat on. Did anyone ever use that Beal program rope that is fat at the ends and skinny in the middle? I'll bet we'll see something like that again someday.

my other annoyance w/ skinny ropes, discovered this past weekend - they really don't take prusiks well!