cc.com is now a recruiting office?

dt_3pin

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh nothing like intelligent conversation...

If anything I'm surprised that it took longer for someone to say something, some of you guys will bitch about anything. To make a long story short several months ago the ad firm that represents the Army SF contacted us looking to run an ad. He explained why and told me what they were looking to do. After a little hesitation we decided to try it out, and after a month they decided they didn't want to continue with it. Most of you probably didn't even notice it. A few weeks ago I was contacted again saying that they wanted to do it again, but wanted it more visible then before. Porter, Tim, and myself went back and forth on it, and kind of came to the conclusion that the ad they wanted to run was too large and wasn't going to work. In the meantime I had been contacted by a few more outdoor oriented ventures looking for a space similar to what the Army was looking for. We were able to find a compromise and here we are. Compared to most sites advertising ours if fairly benign and will stay that way.

The bottom line is this. There is stuff we would like to do with this site, both in a development aspect (updated trip reporting system), social aspect (slideshows, parties, making some t-shirts), and an advocacy sense (land preservation donations, climbing grants). All these require money. In a few days this website will be seven years old, and in breaking into the web top 100k the "revenue generating potential" rises to a considerable amount. The new ad spot will help enable us to go in the direction we envision.

jon,

You in no way should validate how this "free" site gets paid for...its your site, do as you see fit...the rest of us, well, we're just squatters...

What they fail to realize that this is a war, whether they want to admit it or not.
Actually there are two 'wars.' There is the 'war' in which a relatively small number of international criminals commit violent acts against the biggest targets they can find because they feel special, and then there is the 'war' in which the United States took over a clearly defenseless country (or countries) for any number of reasons, all of which they deny while trying to tell us that the two 'wars' are the same. There is no 'war' between Islam and the West. There may be hatred, but actual violence is committed by a relatively small number of extremists that we seem to be incapable (or not in the interest) of finding. 'War' is a stupid word being used to convince you that there is nothing you can do about it besides take orders. And might I remind you that hatred is not an international crime, nor is it evidence (or justification) of war.

The Army ad seems like a win/win situation. It provides us a place to avoid work; it stimulates healthy debate- the lifeblood of any true democracy- and it even inspires us to go climbing and so avoid the horror of the real world.

It just seems like a bonus that it offers the Jonah Goldberg Battalion a place to sign up if they ever choose to replace word with deed.

I haven't read through all the posts on this; but if it isn't already said I'll say it here:

Donate money to cc.com every year.

And good for the site owners to have landed an advertising contract that makes some money (I assume). Proof that you provide a site that has value, fulfills a niche, and continues to improve. Good on ya!

SOLUTION precludes having to repeat war. a tool maybe. a means.a business.

Invading Normandy and bombing Nagasaki were solutions to end WWII. And we've not gone to war with Germany since, now, have we?

nagasaki was a nuclear test. plain and simple.carpet bombing was going to 'win' it.

you continue to miss the point though......war cures nothing.if you call killing your opponent the end of the conflict,.once you become a killer, you have to be killed. if you become a lover,then you ...........

Edited by virendra7

a classic song about a recruiter and the recruited...

Fighting for Strangers

cho: What makes you go away, fighting for strangers,

When you could be save at home, free from all dangers?

A recruiting sergeant came my way,

To an inn nearby at the break of day.

He said: "Young Johnny you're a fine young man,

Do you want to march along behind a military band,

With a scarlet coat, a big cocked hat

And a muscet on your shoulder?"

A shilling he took and he kissed the book,

Oh Johnny, what will happen to ya?

The recruiting sergeant marched away,

From the inn nearby at the break of day.

Johnny went too, with half a ring,

He was off to be a soldier, he'd be fighting for the king,

In a far off war, in a far off land,

To face a foreign soldier.

But how will he fare when there's lead in the air,

Oh poor Johnny, what will happen to ya?

The sun shone high on a barren land,

As a thin red line took the military stand.

Sling shot, chain shot, grape shot too,

Swords and bayonets thrusting through,

Poor Johnny fell but the day was won

And the King is grateful to ya.

With your soldier deeds done, we're sending you home,

Oh poor Johnny, what have they done to ya?

Oh, they said he was a hero and not to grieve

Over two wooden legs and an empty sleeve.

They carried him home and they sat him down

With a military pension and a medal from the crown.

You haven't an arm, you haven't a leg,

The enemy nearly slew ya.

You'll have to be put with a bowl to beg,

Oh poor Johnny what have they done to ya?

"I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little baby arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that."

Someone's squatting in the bush getting stronger... and it ain't us, because IT AIN'T OUR BUSH! :eek::crosseye::toad: