• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

V7 says:

"FREE EFFIN SPEACH!!

BRING HOME THE EFFIN TROOPS!!

GIVE THEM A REAL JOB!!! "

ummm...this is a private forum...as such, jon et. al, has ownership and can dictate what "speech" is allowed on this site (nifty word here: moderator)...

Edited by RuMR

V7 says:

"FREE EFFIN SPEACH!!

ummm...this is a private forum...as such, jon et. al, has ownership and can dictate what "speech" is allowed on this site (nifty word here: moderator)...

aaaaaaaaaaw the fine smell of fascism.........

Ahhh nothing like intelligent conversation...

If anything I'm surprised that it took longer for someone to say something, some of you guys will bitch about anything. To make a long story short several months ago the ad firm that represents the Army SF contacted us looking to run an ad. He explained why and told me what they were looking to do. After a little hesitation we decided to try it out, and after a month they decided they didn't want to continue with it. Most of you probably didn't even notice it. A few weeks ago I was contacted again saying that they wanted to do it again, but wanted it more visible then before. Porter, Tim, and myself went back and forth on it, and kind of came to the conclusion that the ad they wanted to run was too large and wasn't going to work. In the meantime I had been contacted by a few more outdoor oriented ventures looking for a space similar to what the Army was looking for. We were able to find a compromise and here we are. Compared to most sites advertising ours if fairly benign and will stay that way.

The bottom line is this. There is stuff we would like to do with this site, both in a development aspect (updated trip reporting system), social aspect (slideshows, parties, making some t-shirts), and an advocacy sense (land preservation donations, climbing grants). All these require money. In a few days this website will be seven years old, and in breaking into the web top 100k the "revenue generating potential" rises to a considerable amount. The new ad spot will help enable us to go in the direction we envision.

V7 says:

"FREE EFFIN SPEACH!!

Christ, you're a tool bag V7. I was hoping this thread would stir up some (((quality))) spray, but all we're getting is your incoherent ramblings.

Ahhh nothing like intelligent conversation...

If anything I'm surprised that it took longer for someone to say something, some of you guys will bitch about anything. To make a long story short several months ago the ad firm that represents the Army SF contacted us looking to run an ad. He explained why and told me what they were looking to do. After a little hesitation we decided to try it out, and after a month they decided they didn't want to continue with it. Most of you probably didn't even notice it. A few weeks ago I was contacted again saying that they wanted to do it again, but wanted it more visible then before. Porter, Tim, and myself went back and forth on it, and kind of came to the conclusion that the ad they wanted to run was too large and wasn't going to work. In the meantime I had been contacted by a few more outdoor oriented ventures looking for a space similar to what the Army was looking for. We were able to find a compromise and here we are. Compared to most sites advertising ours if fairly benign and will stay that way.

The bottom line is this. There is stuff we would like to do with this site, both in a development aspect (updated trip reporting system), social aspect (slideshows, parties, making some t-shirts), and an advocacy sense (land preservation donations, climbing grants). All these require money. In a few days this website will be seven years old, and in breaking into the web top 100k the "revenue generating potential" rises to a considerable amount. The new ad spot will help enable us to go in the direction we envision.

ok we get the money part!!! we are more concerned with the content part.!!!

just do a pledge drive. for money.

or call jenna.com

imperialist advertising seems over the top to me.

where do you draw the line?? adl? aclu? dems? reps?

V7 says:

"FREE EFFIN SPEACH!!

Christ, you're a tool bag V7. I was hoping this thread would stir up some (((quality))) spray, but all we're getting is your incoherent ramblings.

inconsequential banter?? ya that boy is cute in the ad.war is cute AND sexy!!

since the dawn of humanity, war has never been a solution.or 'acceptable'...wtf?

It's the exact opposite, you assclown. Since the dawn of time war has been the predominant solution and perfectly acceptable to almost every culture and nation.

Yeah I gotta say im with KKK on this one, I was thinking the same thing, only recently have people actually gave war credit for the horror it really is.

I won't bitch about ads until they actively degrade the experience. The blatantly site-ruining ones:

- take up screen space on the same scale as content

- are intentionally distracting with constant motion and/or sounds

- hide actual content

- require interaction in order to use the rest of the site

- are inlined into the content (like between posts or paragraphs)

In fact it sounds like we have someone to thank for the continued absence of these.

Way off topic but the only reason the most popular allied machine gun of WWI was created is because someone told the creator that "Europeans love to kill each other," and that he could make alot of money finding a better way for them to do it.

SO HE FOUND a solution?

WAR IS PROFIT.

war is barbarism.war is its own reward. humans love to kill.