[TR] Cascade Pass / Sahalee Arm - Cascade pass trail to Sahalee glacier camp 9/22/2007

SteveStrong

Trip: Cascade Pass / Sahalee Arm - Cascade pass trail to Sahalee glacier camp

Date: 9/22/2007

Trip Report:

Well, we were sissy's on Friday night, and decided to just get up early Saturday because of the rain. We were on trail by 9, but still in heavy rain. We cause a single glimpse of a mountain at about 4000 feet, and by 5500 we were into snow and freezing rain. Pelton basin was full, so we continued on to the Sahalee glacier camp (which was empty), but the weather was miserable, so we didn't make it up to the ice.

The night greeted us with a couple hours of beautiful moonlit clear skies, followed by sub zero temperatures and sustained 20+ mph winds for the rest of the night. I'm convinced the only thing that got me through was my DAS parka. After a sleepless night, we decided that we would just do a little exploring, and headed for home shortly after. Luckily, once we decended off the arm a ways, the clouds broke and the wind died. We got some spectacular views, and my first trip to the North Cascades was saved.

Overall I had a great time, and a great hike. There's a reason this hike is in all the guide books.

Feel free to identify landmarks. This was my first trip to the North Cascades, and the maps I have so far cut off just before the mountains that make up the Cascade Creek Ridge area, so I don't know any names.

cascade8.jpg

cascade7.jpg

cascade3.jpg

cascade2.jpg

Cascade1.jpg

casacade4.jpg

cascade6.jpg

cascade5.jpg

Gear Notes:

Patagonia DAS parka stood up to the coldest weather I've tested yet. My new Bora 80 proved to be way more comfortable than the Kelty I've been using previously as well.

Approach Notes:

Cascade Pass trail is a highway, and on a nice day, a crowded one at that. Sahalee arm trail is less well maintained, but still easy to navigate.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic