Winter is on it's way

AlpineK

jetstream_pac_h72_00.gif

Gotta look at the whole picture. It looks to me like the original forecast was pretty good. The jet is still showing a track brushing AK, then down and up past OR. I'd much rather see that then a classic Pineapple Express moving straight out of Hawaii. Tuesday-Wednesday should be exciting!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Hef..where are the winds coming from in your picture...?

From the....SW..right..so ideally for low freezing levels we would want it from the NW like the La Nina pics in the LA Nina Doom thread..so ideally we would have the jet shifted East.

your right that its not a pineapple express but it does have warm SW flow. For an express we need the upper low which is over the charlottes in your pic over the Hawaiin islands.

Tuesday.. Rain Heavy At Times. Windy. Rainfall Amounts 30 To 40 Mm.

Freezing Level 2500 Metres.

Copyright 2007 Environment Canada.

End/Amc..

End/Amc..

Agreed. They are calling for higher freezing levels than initially forecast. There are a lot of dynamics that will affect how this thing plays out. You're right that a typical La Nina track would take it in from the NW, not SW-W, my point is only that this kind of weather at this time of year, considered in conjunction with all time low SST in the Pacific, strengthens the indications and predictions for a strong La Nina year overall.

Which makes me want to do a snow dance.

:moondance:

See ya out there!

:brew:

1 out of 105 aint bad...

If anyone hasn't experienced it, early season in CO is NOTHING like a normal ski area opening day. There is typically a white strip of death made of man-blow (a combination of man made snow and surface hoar) with bare ground surrounding the entire fiasco.

See for yourself

Everyone who goes for the opening day ritual has one option, thus madness ensues and there are many collisions.

I must admit, I partook in the festivites while I lived out there for 2 years, but the novelty wears off after your 3rd beer and 2nd run, so you go to the parking lot and wish you lived somewhere that it actually snowed (just kidding, have to give the CO folks some shit since most of them think that out west is nothing but mashed potatoes and rain). It is something that everyone should participate in at least once so you can appreciate the naturally-fed openings that we have here and the bountiful snowpack.

Edited by hefeweizen