Crampon Attachment Preferences

Greg_W

quote:

Originally posted by mwills:

if you want to buy one crampon i'd vote for the sabertooth. though a bit on the heavy side (34oz), they can be used for everything - moderate/steep ice, snow slogging, mixed. you will see gadd pulling m10
[Eek!]
or some weekend warrior front-pointing
[laf]
up the pearly gates.

step-in, new matic, or strap-on - that is up to you. depends on the assortment of boots/shoes you plan to where. if you only wear boots that are step-in compatible, get step-ins. i've never heard of the toe-bail "failing". i've seen crampons attached incorrectly, sized wrong, or bails that didn't match the welt on the boot - but no failures.

After an icestorm in Ames, I'm sure I will see you wearing yours just to walk to the McDonald's! [laf]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

I've got spurs for you, honey...chaps and a Stetson, too!

yee-haw, gregw! don't forget your saddle, your shit-kicking boots ... and your sharp-shooter!
[Moon]
I'm on it...SADDLE UP!!!

There you go again Ray...

I'm a stingy retro kind of guy, and I'm still using my old Salewa's with neoprene straps. Say what you will, they're not very heavy, fit any shoe I own, and they've never come off. Recent reports of lost crampons on Eldorado and Shuksan have made me appreciate that. That said, they're pretty minimal for steep waterfall ice, and messing with straps is unpleasant when its really cold.

I use both the aluminum and steel Stubais. The aluminum with the strap-on bindings (because you can then use the ultra light crampon with very light boots). I use the heel clamp combined with plastic toe strap binding on the steel crampons. These hurt my heels until I learned not to make the safety strap too tight. I like both crampons, but agree with the comment that the buckle on the strap (both bindings) is too flimsy. When mine was bent it stoped working, but it was no problem to put a cuple of half hitches in the strap to keep it from coming loose. If I ever get around to it I'll get some of the straps (used on most other brands) that have the buckles made of two simple steel rings. I like the Stubai crampons a lot. I would say that boots are a much more important variable than crampons!

Thanks for all the input, guys. Gotta send out some props to Todd and crew at Feathered Friends who let us in Saturday evening after they were closed to pick up a pair of Sabertooths clips. Thanks, guys [big Drink] Bad news is the wife bought them as a Christmas present and now she's hidden them [Mad]

Greg W

Couple of seasons ago??!?! Are you insane, man!! Surely your wife has been informed of the potential failure of crampons due to micro-fractures that develop over time while using them on the bullet-proof styrofoam snow and crystallized mud of the cascades? If not you should absolutely point to this groundbreaking research and increase your gear budget accordingly.

If not, I have a pair of scottish (strapon) style crampons I'd part with for pretty cheap.