January 16, 1951

catbirdseat

I was replacing an old window to my upstairs bedroom and found some old newspaper stuffed inside the wall as insulation. The house was supposedly built in 1951 and the newspaper was dated January 16, 1951.

The Korean War figured prominently in the news then much as the Iraq War does today. When you think about it, both were and are proxy wars. It was China then, Al Queda and Iran now.

Jan_16_1951_resized.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

America will not go to war with China until Wal-mart has someplace else to buy cheap shit from and mark it up.

From: http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Storefinder.jsp?page=sfd

"*With 285 stores from coast to coast in Canada, you are more than likely to find a store wherever you go...."

sweet! your source for the obese and sweatpanted! gimmie my fucking walmart!

I'll stick it to the man, I'll buy shit that breaks for 10% less than stuff that would last 30% longer!

A friend of mine, a woodworker, said it was "tradition" that when you build "dead space" into a piece of furniture or a part of a house you should place a piece of newspaper or other similar item in the time capsule. He would place a piece out of the tabloids, thinking it would hold greater interest over the years.

What do you think: would a 1951 tabloid have held more interest? I think a "straight" newspaper is probably a better long term momento.