Portland

jport

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's "M&M Central" mean?

Hopefully you're not too good to be supportive of Portland's next generation of alpinists.

You may be amazed how capable these teens are on technical rock and glacier routes.

Do everyone a favor and keep your demeaning comments to yourself.

M&M's "comment" comes from climbing clubs like the mazama's and the mountiefux clusterscrewing an entire cliff...my buddy watched such a session going down with me and commented "wow, looks like a bag of M&M's broke (referring to all of the helmeted folks milling around on the ground) on that cliff over there"...

No disparaging remarks were meant towards the youth, but YOUR organization...

Edited by RuMR

It is always annoying to read comments from those "rugged individualists" who routinely express contempt for beginning climbers and the local climbing organizations who train them.

RuMR seem so back-off a bit, claiming his contempt was aimed at the climbing clubs, rather than the teens with their amusing helmets. But the victim had been selected, and another "rugged individualist" jumped into the fray with his comparison of these kids to "marshmallow mobsters". Are you suggesting the kids are "phoney"? Are you more manley? Are you the real thing?

My comment to you guys is: GROW UP.

It is always annoying to read comments from those "rugged individualists" who routinely express contempt for beginning climbers and the local climbing organizations who train them.

RuMR seem so back-off a bit, claiming his contempt was aimed at the climbing clubs, rather than the teens with their amusing helmets. But the victim had been selected, and another "rugged individualist" jumped into the fray with his comparison of these kids to "marshmallow mobsters". Are you suggesting the kids are "phoney"? Are you more manley? Are you the real thing?

I don't know what you're talkin about, but my advise to all of you is to NOT grow up. Growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be and in fact just sometimes sucks.

Sh*t, delay the inevitable all you can.

I grew up in an incredible climbing Explorer post back in the day outa Tacoma. Many of our group went on to become top climbers (Tod Bibler of tent fame being our best known member). I'll never forget many of those early climbs with the post, and learning how to deal with some of the more interesting fellows - all part of being in a public club (great training for getting along with others later in life). Many of us wanted to jump onto harder climbs and we thought the old duffer leaders were holding us back (which they were!) but I know we all are forever indebted to them for a solid basic knowledge that we built on and moved beyond.

Those kids are lucky, I thought that liability had gotten the scouts out of climbing.

Keep up the good work, but don't be too sensitive about the m&m remark - most of us would rather have the crag/mt. to ourselves, so large club groups do bug most of us when we run into them unexpectedly, but then again I guess they may also want the crag to themselves and not have to deal with a bunch of other climbers so lets live and let live.

wtf does being manly have to do with being annoyed as all hell when you arrive at a cliff and find damn near every line has a rope on it with a huge queue waiting to climb and people milling around not climbing?????? Answer: Its got nothing to do with being "macho" or rugged or anything of the sort...i'm just plain ol' fashioned PISSED OFF WHEN I RUN INTO CLOWN ORGANIZATIONS...

you grow up and figure out how to share... :fahq:

Edited by RuMR

wtf does being manly have to do with being annoyed as all hell when you arrive at a cliff and find damn near every line has a rope on it with a huge queue waiting to climb and people milling around not climbing?????? Answer: Its got nothing to do with being "macho" or rugged or anything of the sort...i'm just plain ol' fashioned PISSED OFF WHEN I RUN INTO CLOWN ORGANIZATIONS...

you grow up and figure out how to share... :fahq:

My mom taught me when I was a kid that it's nice to share. I'm sure it doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen quite a number of times when the club doesn't follow that simple rule.

I'm willing to make fun of the mounties, but I've been around the group since I was an infant.

I grew up in an incredible climbing Explorer post back in the day outa Tacoma. Many of our group went on to become top climbers (Tod Bibler of tent fame being our best known member). I'll never forget many of those early climbs with the post, and learning how to deal with some of the more interesting fellows - all part of being in a public club (great training for getting along with others later in life). Many of us wanted to jump onto harder climbs and we thought the old duffer leaders were holding us back (which they were!) but I know we all are forever indebted to them for a solid basic knowledge that we built on and moved beyond.

Side note: I remember going on my first hiking trip with the Boy Scouts growing up. We hiked around out in the Olympics, and one of the old guys leading us had go dig a pit and bury our trash. Apparently he hadn't been out hiking for a while and didn't know pratices had changed. My dad was also on the hike and he made us go dig it up ;)

We didn't do any technical rock climbing, but we bagged a few peaks.

Anyway, I appreciate any organization trying to get the kids out doors. I know some of the kids in our troop would have never made it outdoors if they had to rely on their own family to take them out.

I think we're all falling into the same trap here: over-generalizing climbing clubs. Let's not be mistaken... Explorer Post 58 is an independent organization for teens. Our program should not be categorized with other large-scale, adult climbing clubs in the Northwest. Post 58 is truly unique in its approach and methods.

It's primary purposes are:

1. To provide Post members with opportunities to learn climbing and wilderness skills through outdoor experiences in a safe environment.

2. To provide Post members with an opportunity to learn group living and leadership skills.

3. To enhance personal growth and self awareness.

4. To teach respect for the wilderness.

Hopefully we can all see the benefit of teaching teens safe practices in the mountains and at the crag. Many of the lessons we learn in the mountains extend into other aspects of our lives... hopefully making us more aware of ourselves, others, and the environment.

My original intent for this post was to simple make people aware that there is a very, very active youth climbing club in Portland. Perhaps the accusations and debating can continue in another thread.

"Climbaround" thanks for your support!