Dynafit bindings- leash or brakes?

jport

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that having the brakes on makes it quite a bit more difficult to rotate the turret between touring modes easily on the fly (i.e. with ski-pole, not stooping down). I think it both adds friction to the system and provides more bits to get packed with wet snow.

I started with the brakes becuase I wanted them to be able to do double duty in-bounds, but have since bought a new alpine set-up so will probably take them off and shave a few ounces. I think from a avvy safety perspective, brakes are safer since you would get free from the skiis making for easier swimming to stay afloat.

Conversely, leashes would prevent you from losing a ski completely on a steep descent.

I've found that having the brakes on makes it quite a bit more difficult to rotate the turret between touring modes easily on the fly (i.e. with ski-pole, not stooping down).. . I think from a avvy safety perspective, brakes are safer since you would get free from the skiis making for easier swimming to stay afloat. Conversely, leashes would prevent you from losing a ski completely on a steep descent.

Agreed, pick your posion for that one.

I find getting Dynafits on in deep powder is difficult. Having brake to fumble with as well would just be that much more of a pain.

Bullshit, you just step in.

the brakes suck. make your own leashes from some accessory cord and a mini-biner or clip.

Bending over with a big pack to do up a leash is STOOPPID. Brakes add weight, sure, but leashes are lame with a big pack.

I'm sorry to say but I have caused 2 minor avalanches. Both times the depth was <6" of slide. Both times I released out of both skis with straps not breaks; I then went into full on arrest mode and dug through the avy debris and stopped. Because I had the skis on straps they were still attached to me and I was able to get them back on and complete the now safe run.

I hope to never repeat stuff like that, but it did convince me that straps are better then hiking down thousands of feet to search for your skis.

but you don't suck on skis. I do :(

I suck on skis too. Go with leashes. They're lighter, and they'll keep your skis nearby in the event that you lose a ski when you don't intend to do so. Consider making leashes that will break if stressed to a point that will cause you trouble (avalanches, nasty falls, etc.).

Alternatively, just crank the DINs and lock the tour lever like skykilo and co. Perhaps Dynafit could make an even lighter non-releasable binding for those who want them.

Also of note if you're new to Dynafits - practice stepping into them them in a mellow environment. You do just step in, but you may find that you have to step in just right.

Click, stomp. Click, stomp. :grin:

Perhaps Dynafit could make an even lighter non-releasable binding for those who want them.

Certain former-PNW skiers of note have modified Silvretta 555s to be non-releseable by removing the heelunit and replacing it with a CNC'd baseplate and a snowboard heel throw. Not my choice, but food for though.

Many people, as you may notice from the above posts, dislike the Dynafit brakes.

I find that if you remove one of the two springs that actuate the brake arms then most of the problems dissapear.

The 06-07 model of the comfort binding came with looser springs if you bought a set with brakes.

I lock out the binding most of the time. It will still release when you really want it to. I have prereleased many a time with the bindings if I don't lock them out on featured rime ice.

I have used both the brakes and leashes (after the brakes came off(!)). I think I like leashes now. I use the bd clipwire attached to the front, and a loop of accessory cord off the boot tongue. Seems to work well, but I've yet to find a good way to attach the clipwire at the front w/o affecting the lock-out lever.

Be careful yarding on any of the plastic components in very cold conditions. I am on my third pair of comforts because of cracking.

Be careful yarding on any of the plastic components in very cold conditions. I am on my third pair of comforts because of cracking.

Where are your Comforts cracking? I'm a 15+ year telemarker who switched to Comforts last spring. I like 'em, but want to understand their weak points. Thanks.

I have cracked the front base plate by accidently poking it with my ski pole in some really cold weather in switzerland last spring. I was trying to release the binding toe, missed, and jabbed the plate. It cracked and the crack shot down under the plate. Fortunately there is a chunk of metal reinforcement in there, but I could not lock out the front of the binding, in the middle of a berner oberland tour on some big peak. Darn!

The next event was cracking the piece around the crampon attachment. This was again in cold conditions, and happened when I was twisting down trying to get the crampon on while on the move. Fortunately, these were the newer comforts (replacing the cracked ones above) so they had the metal reinforcement for the crampon holders. The previous comfort model has plastic crampon holders (yikes). Wouldn't it be fun if that broke sometime while cramponing?

The fact that I'm still using dynafits despite these issues I think says something about their performance. I certainly ski differently in them than in Fritschis though. Not so much the actual skiing, but taking care when putting them on and off, changing to touring/skiing mode, etc.

I've never had issues getting them on in deep powder, or any issues with icing. I also like how they are easier to fit to a pack. I still have my old freerides on some bro models when I want to "unleash the hounds", as it where.

After railing against leashes, I now realize that since they don't make brakes >100mm, I'll be using some sort of leash system for the new PowderBillyBroBrah setup.

I've bent the crap out of my Freeride brakes to make them fit bigger skis - anybody know how how pliable/resiliant Dynafit brakes are?

The bindings lodged into the snow with ski bases skyward keeps the ski in place during changeovers just as well as brakes.

Leashes are good if you think you're likely to beater, until your skis return to brain you. I'll probably pay for my wanton ways one of these days... most likely downclimbing some big, beautiful route with the most perfect conditions I've ever seen because my ski couldn't wait for me.

I wish they'd make a binding with the longer pins and base of the Comfort but everything else like the Classic. That's what I really want.