Mounting Tele skis

David_Parker

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainey's Hammerhead bindings do not have pins...I think voile is the only company that still offers a tele binding with pins.

If you already have a pair of chilis and don't wanna shell out the extra cash thats understandable, but there are newer bindings out there now, particularly the HH that offers a ton more control, but still has the heel bail cable system which is what you like about the chilis.

Check out www.telemarktips.com for a bunch of info on new tele gear and reviews.

Hey David, unless you have some fine tuning tweakers desire to "Tweak" I would just mount the pins chord center. I have always had good results and find most people except the vegan-nazi tele tweakers in T-ride agree with this position. Also the advice on shims is a good one. [big Drink]

Russ, I have my very specific reasons why I choose the chili. It mostly has to do with escaping the ski if I'm in a twisted or upside down position and still conscious after being caught in an avalanche or falling in a tree well. I used pin bindings with voile plates for many years and then I fell in a tree well. It was a really panicky situation and for the life of me I couldn't get my skis off. When the chili came out with NO pins, I wanted it. It is easier to reach your heels than your toes to release a cable than a bail. Once the cable is off, your foot comes out easily with no pins. Maybe it's a remote thing, but that panicky feeling I had sticks with me. Now I'm not totally up on the new stuff, but since I already have a pair of chili's, I wasn't into buying new bindings.

I have always mounted "regular" skis pins on chord center and they have worked just fine. I now have the delema of mounting up a pair of HH on a fat twin tip ski. Chord center is about four inches from the spot where the pins are if you use the boot center mark on the ski. If any of you have mounted tele on to a fat twin tip where did you mount them? Indeed the Hammer Heads look sweet, got'em in the mail last week and can't wait to try them.