salomon pro thermic boot

iceaxe23

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recieved a pair of these site unseen in the mail a few days back (sponsored by salomon, but that won't influence my assessment). I have only worn them twice (once for a short dog walk and yesterday for an all day affair). First impressions out of the box: They are a bit heavy, pretty similar to my Koflac arctis expes. The sole seems a bit small (narrow) compared to the rand, thought this might make scambling difficult and post holing even worse as the surface area has been reduced. So yesterday I threw them in a pack with an axe and some crampons and biked 10 miles (8 uphill) to the trailhead...the boots definitely felt heavy when carrying them. The I put the boots on and hiked a few miles to the base of Ptarmagin Peak. There was a bit of discomfort, but they certainly walk better than my plastics. Kick stepping up the 1600' couloir the boots felt great and post holing wasn't too much of an issue. Near the top some 4th class terrain was definitely easier than in my plastics! The boots treated me well on the glissade down and the hike out was ok even though my feet were soaked (sweat and I forgot gaiters hellno3d.gif). Even with wet feet and a couple of miles of hiking I got no blisters, which is always a good thing. I am going to put these boots through a few more trials, further north in AK, but I am leaning towards taking them to a high altitude trip to China at the end of the summer. I will report on warmth, durability and ice climbing performance as I use them more. But right now I give them a thumbs_up.gif

I bought a pair for a Foraker trip last year. They're about as heavy as my Asolo plastics, but much warmer (took them up Rainier last July, way too warm). A much better fit than any plastics I've had, no heel slop on front points. No blisters in the limited approach hiking I've done in them. So far, thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif