leash for belay device?

builder206

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just rigged one from small cord (3 or 4 mm, I dunno) and used it for the 1st time Saturday. It was a bit of a bother. Before that, every time I took the device off my pearbiner I held my breath and was verry careful to hold on to it, but it looks like all I did was trade one kind of grief for another. The length is right but that's the only good thing I can say at this point. Rope evolutions slowed as I worked with the leash in addition to rope, device, pearbiner.

I didn't think anyone still leashed belay devices since the figure-8 went out of style. Just don't drop it, if you do use a munter hitch.

Yeh, I know what to do if I drop the device which is why I don't want to drop the device. But...what's the reference to "figure 8 going out of style?" What are you talking about there? A fig 8 device?---I'm talking about leashing my belay device to my pearbiner.

Edited by builder206

I don't use a leash. I never remove my device from my HMS biner. My biner is big enough that I can just move the device to the side and clip the rope without actually removing it. I've never really worried about it. Seems a leash would get in the way, but I see lots of people doing it so it must not be too bad. :confused:

But...what's the reference to "figure 8 going out of style?" What are you talking about there? A fig 8 device?---I'm talking about leashing my belay device to my pearbiner.

Fig 8's were used as belay devices for a short time.

At least, it should have been a short time.

We stuck the belay loop (bite) through the small hole and clipped to the rope just like a stitch plate, sort of.