Which one of you is lost?

Seahawks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF, seahawks? I knew you were dumb, but I didn't think you were an asshole.

Lucky for you CBS is too nice of a guy to make you eat shit.

Like I care?? I've been tossed so much shit here if I can't throw a little back then kiss off. If you can't handle it leave.

and isn't that nice, running to defend your friend. What ever bunch of two faced idiots.

Get a life and don't fucking poke fun at a person that is suffering and could be dead.

And have fun wasting your time replying to this cuz you are too stupid to care about Im done reading anything your retarded ass posts

Please read and edit before calling me retarded lol, and please point out were I poke fun at her??? Poked fun at people like you.

How is it that this "experienced hiker" left her overnight gear in her car...yet remembered to carry the all-important stationery and writing instrument? Did I miss another 10 essentials update?

How is it that this "experienced hiker" continued to cover ground once she got into her so-called "emergency state?" It's not secret knowledge that SAR needs you to stay in one place for them to find you. Going downstream is more of a pilot-down-behind-enemy-lines kind of thing. Where did she think she would end up, Bellingham Bay?

She was found 5 miles from the TH according to KOMO. This in 6 days. So she starts down a trail and in only five miles gets lost? Guess the ol' map and compass was too heavy. OK, for the sake of argument let's say it's secret knowledge that you have to stay in one place so SAR can find you...so she decides to keep moving (and use energy even though she's out of food). But in what direction does she travel? In a direction that she must know is obviously 'way different than the way she came, rather than trying to at least meander back in the direction she came from.

Who coined the phrase "experienced hiker?"

Edited by builder206

How is it that this "experienced hiker" left her overnight gear in her car...yet remembered to carry the all-important stationery and writing instrument? Did I miss another 10 essentials update?

How is it that this "experienced hiker" continued to cover ground once she got into her so-called "emergency state?" It's not secret knowledge that SAR needs you to stay in one place for them to find you. Going downstream is more of a pilot-down-behind-enemy-lines kind of thing. Where did she think she would end up, Bellingham Bay?

She was found 5 miles from the TH according to KOMO. This in 6 days. So she starts down a trail and in only five miles gets lost? Guess the ol' map and compass was too heavy. OK, for the sake of argument let's say it's secret knowledge that you have to stay in one place so SAR can find you...so she decides to keep moving (and use energy even though she's out of food). But in what direction does she travel? In a direction that she must know is obviously 'way different than the way she came, rather than trying to at least meander back in the direction she came from.

Who coined the phrase "experienced hiker?"

Story on WTA site yesterday reported her friends say she goes hiking all the time, usually alone, but regularly. Why the confusion in the woods this time we don't know, but we take our wits for granted. Very glad to hear she made it out. That bit about "going downstream" seemed pretty irrational -- and dire.

In the description in Don't Waste your time in the NC there is described a tagline going down to the creek after about 3 mi.. To me it seems she got thirsty and headed down there for a drink then got hung up in Devils Club and Slide Alder. Probably was afraid to drink creek water from all the filter propaganda. I have been down Access and a bit of Luna and know it is slow painful going especially if solo, and I am not a 120 lb 31 yr. old. Ask not for whom the bell tolls....

In the description in Don't Waste your time in the NC there is described a tagline going down to the creek after about 3 mi.. To me it seems she got thirsty and headed down there for a drink then got hung up in Devils Club and Slide Alder. Probably was afraid to drink creek water from all the filter propaganda. I have been down Access and a bit of Luna and know it is slow painful going especially if solo, and I am not a 120 lb 31 yr. old. Ask not for whom the bell tolls....

I think if I was lost the last thing I'd worry about is if I'd pick up giardia... i'd just drink out of the creek.

There was a good perspective of why she may not have stayed put over on nwhikers.net. Basically, it's tough (especially for someone who has confidence in their outdoor skills) to know when to really give up, realize you're not helping yourself by moving, and consign your fate to the rescue attempt that may or may not be happening.

I myself would err on the side of continuing to try to find my way out if I had told everybody that my hiking plan was many miles to the South. That is, in a situation where it may be quite a while 'til anyone even knows the correct county to be searching.

Seems like she tried the mitigate the negative aspects of staying on the move by leaving that trail of notes.

And as for leaving her overnight gear in the car...I do this all the time (actually I leave my overnight gear at home) if I am planning just a short day trip. It may bite me in the ass someday, but unlikely. I'll trade the < 1% chance of getting stung by this decision for the freedom of not bringing a packload of gear every time I head up to the Tooth.

Builder206 is probably one of those guys/gals you see heading up to Snow Lake on a sunny morning in August sweating under full brush-bashing regalia and a 30 lb pack :laf:.