Cliff Notes for Climbers

Dwayner

good survival story: "The Long Walk" about some Polish guys in WW2 who escape from a Russian prison camp in Siberia and walk south across Mongolia, the Gobi Desert, Tibet and the Himalaya to India, taking 2.5 years, half of them die along the way...and they see the Yeti! And it's not really Reinhold Messner!!

smokin.gif

pimp.gif

The author's name is Slavomir Rawicz if that helps ( do a search on that on Google or whatever and you can find the book easily). He had some english journalist guy as translator and co-author.

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 06-29-2001).]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the book 'gary hemming- the beatnik of the alps' by mirella tenderini is an excellent psychobiography of this strange, almost schizophrenic climber who did first ascents in the alps during the sixties (with john harlin and others). the final chapters, which detail hemming's growing instability and the circumstances of his death were most interesting. bad lsd trip? suicide? or was he murdered by mike lowe? this seems like a realistic look at climbing and climbers during the sixties- layton kor, royal robbins, all hanging out and smoking 'tea' at jenny lake in the tetons in 1969. hemming's comments about the karma that he believes led to john harlin's death from a 3000 foot freefall off the eiger north face were also interesting to me.

[This message has been edited by scott (edited 06-29-2001).]

• 4 years later...
good survival story: "The Long Walk" about some Polish guys in WW2 who escape from a Russian prison camp in Siberia and walk south across Mongolia, the Gobi Desert, Tibet and the Himalaya to India, taking 2.5 years, half of them die along the way...and they see the Yeti! And it's not really Reinhold Messner!!

A while ago I picked this book up and read about half of it before chucking it. Usually I'll follow through to the bitter end but the writing style was tedious, plus I just thought this guy's story wasn't credible. It seemed more like propaganda than anything else.

For a much better escaping-from-prison read, my money's on "Papillon."

Steve Roper "Fifty Crowded Climbs": These climbs are classic because I said so and because the pix are soooo cool. Find 'em if you can (this book won't help much). Some people have been lined up since 1981, but there's a dust-free spot on their coffee tables. I already climbed 'em so I don't care. Eat my chalk.

good survival story: "The Long Walk" about some Polish guys in WW2 who escape from a Russian prison camp in Siberia and walk south across Mongolia, the Gobi Desert, Tibet and the Himalaya to India, taking 2.5 years, half of them die along the way...and they see the Yeti! And it's not really Reinhold Messner!

Highly recomended read!!!