Leavenworth: Z-Crack toprope beta?

Sherri

Wanted to set-up a toprope on Z-crack to do some practice laps but wasn't sure if the best way to get there was via the top of Meatgrinder(do you drop to it via that slopey edge with the tiny tree? or is there another way to access Z's anchors without topping out at Meatgrinder? )

Thanks! :wave:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not too bad to get to the Zcrack anchor from the top of Meatgrinder. Just stay on belay from the MG anchor and traverse on that ledge. Probably easiest if you haul up a second rope and use that to set up the Zcrack TR. You could probably get there from the scramble up the right side of the formation, but I think that would be kinda sketchy and you would want a belay from the top of the formation to get to the Zcrack anchors. That might work. I've never tried it.

I used to think Zcrack would be a sketchy lead, but I TRed it last weekend and the gear opporunities looked a lot better than I had remembered from previous laps. I'll just lead it next time.

Z-crack is OK, but I'd recommend toproping Deb's crack instead (or also). It's slightly harder (10d), but is more sustained and has a bunch of different style crack climbing compressed into a small package. VERY easy to set up a TR. You can also try to TR the 11b (yeah right) ZigZag crack next to it. It's impossible.

oh my goodness...pax! where do you dig this stuff up from?

I have a vast library of photos (both incriminating and otherwise) that I keep on hand for just this sort of occasion (and the occasional blackmail scheme).

The pic I have of you in that hot tub we poached in the Methow would probably get some of the ladies on here hawt and bothered. Lemme know if you want me to post it with your phone number.