[TR] Banff natl park - N.face - Mt. Athabasca 9/16

quazimoto

Trip: Banff natl park - N.face - Mt. Athabasca

Date: 9/16/2007

Trip Report:

so a stable weather system lasting through a sun-mon proposal had eiji and I hook,line and sinker for a quick go at a moderate canadian classic. saturday saw us traveling arriving @ the trailhead mid evening and frenzied to pack so sleeping couldcommence. a few wrestless "moments" later our anxiety carreied us efficiently up the moderate moraine trail, after a few short breaks including a weightloss session we arrived below the north face around 6:30a.m.one rope lenght simul climbing saw us over the bergshrund easily passed in the center of the face- From here our first established belay was followed by six 60m pithces of 50-55' ice bringing us into the crux rock band,A 10m step of debated ratings-for me it was a challenge.there are two fixed pins climbers right at about two/thirds hieght and with low ice line below the rock it made for a few commiting moves to reach these,after QUICKLY cipping those a couple movements exited onto 55' ice couloir and to a three screw anchor two bring eiji up the steep and exposed step. following this Apx 300 feet of snow and ice climbing put us atop the summit ridge around 4:30p.m.

very fatigued we had a snappy kodak minute and promtley began our descent encouraged by darkening clouds and a rising wind.excelent views of andromeda were had during decent as was the surrouding peaks we got back to the car around 700pm. pictures coming soon.

Gear Notes:

8 screws,3 pins(not needed) 2 pickets

Approach Notes:

good and free of snow..

Edited by quazimoto

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the pics from the climb.

The Rockies guidebook rates this Grade III, 5.4. The conditions we were climbing, it was atleast Grade III+, maybe IV, and the rock band is 5.7/5.8.

Img_0654.jpg

NF in the morning...looking good!!

Img_0659.jpg

We exchanged leads all the way up...this about pitch 3?

Img_0667.jpg

Kevin nearing the rock crux...which is to the right (just left of the thumb rock sticking up)

Img_0668.jpg

Quick shot of Silverhorn. Beautiful day

Img_0675.jpg

Me, glad to have the crux section behind us. Almost home free.

Img_0676.jpg

Kevin, topping out!!

Img_0688.jpg

Looking back along the summit ridge.

Wow, this climb was fun.

Sure, sounds good. Never done it, just heard from people who have. i think some folks have missed some key route finding and ended up fucked up. but all the beta on the interwebs takes some of the challenge out of it nowadays.

Point is, it does sound like NF AthaB is harder than originally graded...although you are still only talking about +/- 20 feet of actual rock climbing, with the rest moderate AI. Still a III.

the north face of athabasca is an easy III; don't even try to argue that it is III+/IV. the rock step is one body length, maybe two, so it is at most 5m. barry blanchard re-rated the crux at 5.8/M4 this spring which is fair, it is like five moves to mantle up into the upper gully so pretty easy for the grade, especially with the fixed pins. the grade IV's in the rockies are considerably harder than the north face of athabasca; the shooting gallery is an "easy" IV and the crux is twice as long, steeper, and is very poorly protected except in the spring when there is ice to place screws.

you guys had about as good of conditions on the face as you can have; and i should know, i watched you climb.

edit- i should also mention that athabasca is in Jasper National Park, not Banff.

Edited by trainwreck

I did that route 16 years ago with the same excellent ice conditions. There really wasn't more than 30 feet of rock "climbing" mostly traversing on steep powder snow over extremely loose unprotectable shale. The rest of the steep ice was great with not a speck of snow on it. I did it in the 3rd week of August. It was a while ago but it might still be a little better a month earlier as far as the rock part goes.

Offwhite, I think Trainwreck is still referring to committment grades the same way you understand them. He is just comparing nearby routes of the same length...but because they are harder, they of course take longer, thus earning a grade IV rather thana III.

As Trainwreck points out, there are few IVs in the rockies that are as easy technically as NF of AthaB for the simple reason that the max. vertical gain available in the rockies precludes technically easier routes from getting a IV because it won't take more than a day for a reasonably competent party to do them. He isn't saying that there isn't a IV out there with such low technical difficulty, it is just that you would need more vertical gain to make a technically easier route take long enough for most parties to earn a IV.

Yea, it probably is not a IV for sure. But BB's re-assessment of 5.8/M4 seems right for the crux. We were suspecting that the conditions were much different few years ago. It seemed about 9' to the first fixed pin, thus requiring one or two moves to get to it. We did place one nut just lower then the fixed pin in the right hand crack for extra pro. The second pin is few feet beyond that.

If the rock step is one body length, one must be Yao Ming with platform shoes! =)

Any other suggestions for AI climbing in the CA Rockies? Shooting Gallery, Andromeda?

Thanks

Any other suggestions for AI climbing in the CA Rockies? Shooting Gallery, Andromeda?

You will find the NF of Fay and Quadra of similar difficulty, altho shorter, than AthaB. Shooting Gallery is a definite step up, esp. in technical difficulty as referenced by trainwreck. I think there are some routes in the North Bowl of Andromeda that are moderate AI, and shorter than NF of AthaB too.

Great route! I did this one in Aug a few years ago in the same great condish, agree that it's a III, no where near a IV. Crux M4 sounds about right. Its really well protected though (fat 22cm screw just 15 ft below, and some pins) so was great.

N Face of Fay is soooo short. Skyladder on Andromeda is much lower angle, but there are other routes on that shoulder that would be about similar to NF Atha...