overtraining?

akicebum

So I'm curious. I have read myself into a circle here. 25+ reps has your working in a purely aerobic zone, right? Sooo if it is ok to run 6 days a week, then it should be ok to work out the same muscle group 6 days a week as well while still giving you an adequate recovery, taking into account your diet and sleep. I know you don't run fartleks every day, but pull ups and core exercises should be ok if you aren't maxing out right?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I hear that. I'm all about breaking myself instead of killing my coworkers. But for preseason I don't want to screw up my base by doing a gozillion pullups. I do the whole one piece bullshit, but I like doing pull-ups and it doesn't really bother me day after day, but I don't want to screw myself up down the road.

25+ reps has your working in a purely aerobic zone, right?

This really isn't true, at all. There is a common misconception out there that you are only using one system or zone at a time, when in reality you are always using a combination of all of them based on your level of training, and the intensity and force exhorted.

It may also depend on the muscle group your training.

One thing I always keep in mind is that you don't get stronger while your doing the pullups, but during the rest period afterwords when the muscles repair themselves. However I usually have more intermittent workouts so I shoot for burnout to maximize the workout and then give a good recovery. Seems to work ok so far.

25+ reps has your working in a purely aerobic zone, right?

This really isn't true, at all. There is a common misconception out there that you are only using one system or zone at a time, when in reality you are always using a combination of all of them based on your level of training, and the intensity and force exhorted.

Yeah, its all a matter of percentage. We are always using each of the energy systems, just the percentage of recruitment changes.

So I'm curious. I have read myself into a circle here. 25+ reps has your working in a purely aerobic zone, right? Sooo if it is ok to run 6 days a week, then it should be ok to work out the same muscle group 6 days a week as well while still giving you an adequate recovery, taking into account your diet and sleep. I know you don't run fartleks every day, but pull ups and core exercises should be ok if you aren't maxing out right?

OK, I just had to say this: in order to improve as an athlete, you should probably NOT train six days a week! Especially if it is one type of exercise. Most studies show that too much exercise on one group of muscles causes performance to crash.

I'm not saying that we can't get even seven days a week of exercise, just that if someone is doing thier running routine six sessions a week they are wasting thier time! At that point I'd say there is a very addictive quality to thier training, and NOT a calculated attempt at improving health and fitness.

Sitting on the couch and eating is not always a bad alternaltive to another training session....

Yeah I agree. This isnt always true, but if you are doing an exercise 6 or 7 days a week one of two things is happening. 1 you are gonna overtrain and crash or 2 you aren't doing a workout hard enough to make gains if your body can handle doing it every day. Abs and calves are small enough groups to get away with this but anything else, like your back if you are doing pull ups cannot be stressed and repair itself every day.

Unless you start juicing or use HGH but thats another story all together.

Edited by Adam13

Yeah I agree. This isnt always true, but if you are doing an exercise 6 or 7 days a week one of two things is happening. 1 you are gonna overtrain and crash or 2 you aren't doing a workout hard enough to make gains if your body can handle doing it every day. Abs and calves are small enough groups to get away with this but anything else, like your back if you are doing pull ups cannot be stressed and repair itself every day.

Unless you start juicing or use HGH but thats another story all together.

Sometimes trying less hard will pay off far more than trying harder. Balance is the only way to achieve maximum athletic performance. When you train super intensely, you must rest super intensely, and eat super intensely!

The use of steroids and growth hormones for gains should be left to those who don't care about longevity. Sure, you can get huge and ripped faster, but you'll also lose a ton of gains when you come off of them; not to mention that you can cause permanent damage to other systems.

Again, overtraining is a problem with balance. When you stop getting out what you put in, yer being stupid.

it all depends on what your doing. and there is a flaw to this line of though.

examples: guys in prison that do nothing but push ups situps and pullups all day everyday, come out riped and huge. guys that do really physical work all day, 5 plus days a week, (loggers ect) are really frickin strong and dont have to touch the weights ever

it more of a mind set, wear out the mind by doing the same boring workout and the body will follow keep the workouts fun and most the time you dont even notice how tired you are till your walking/ driving home