As a dad, as a climber, and as a concerned person.

RuMR

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, it means that the smaller climber isn't going to pick up any more force because he's STOPPED...the big guy is continuing to pick up load (unless the function has zero slope at this particular point, unlikely, but if it does, the term would be yield). Whether the function is linear or nonlinear is irrelevent...both climbers track through the same function.

Edited by RuMR

Nothin happens instanty. You know far too little about science to lecture me. The thousanths of a seconds in difference when an object comes to a stop can be the difference between being shaken up and being bagged up.

Keep calling me Aristotle, it only shows how fucking stupid you really are.

You are right. Nothing happens "instanty". It takes "thousanths" of a second. Thank you for pointing out how fucking stupid you are. Your knowledge of basic physics resembles that of the ancient Greeks, Aristotle. Please tell me that you're not an engineer or make anything that peoples lives are dependent on.

My favorite part is how you've so far failed to mention "kinetic energy" or "impulse" in your carefully thought out dissertation, and seem to not understand how a stress/strain curve describes the behavior of a dynamic system in tension under a fixed load. Perhaps you'd care to describe how the stress/strain curve would change under a diminished load, or can tell me the difference between yield and ultimate strength. And I'm DYING to read how you'd calculate the "force" acting upon a falling six year old lead climber, maybe a younger you, at 55kg.

Not quite the thread I was looking for, but captures the essence of the discussion...

"

Mad Dog

View profile

More options Aug 21 2001, 5:05 am

Newsgroups: rec.climbing

Date: 21 Aug 2001 04:36:42 -0700

Local: Tues, Aug 21 2001 4:36 am

Subject: Re: Sliding X - Good or Bad

Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

Zaumoron works the Drone Therapy:

>Mad Dog wrote:

>>Bill, Melissa didn't specify that the sling had to be cut, she said "fail".

>With people mostly using sewn runners, the most likely sling failure would

>be due to the sling being cut.

You just don't get it. One could easily extend your argument and more closely

approximate the truth by saying: "With many people buying high-tech sewn runners

(such as Spectra) which are very cut-resistant, the most likely sling failure is

due to a failed water knot on a tied sling." Again, it would be hard for you to

argue with this, since you personally have been involved in sling failure when a

knot came untied, eh?

>[about shock loading]

>>John Long disagrees.

>I'll disagree with respect to short falls of about a foot. If you

>go 3 or 4 feet, it's a different situation, which is probably what

>John was refering to.

Then you would again be blatantly wrong. From page 59 of "Climbing Anchors":

"No extension means that if one of the anchors in the system should fail, the

system will not suddenly become slack and drop the climber a short distance,

shock-loading the remaining anchors."

Bill, don't try to tell me you know more about anchors than John Long. You have

said in this thread that short extensions do not cause shock loads but I have

shown clearly that a leading expert and respected technique author clearly is in

disagreement.

How did you manage to fit that foot in your mouth when it is so far up your ass?"