Hillarycare part deux

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FW is an expert in a vast landscape of subjects about which he has no personal experience. It is his specialty, almost sixth sense really. From welfare to warfare, he is our own one stop go to guy for judgements by proxy on a universe of tough issues requiring a man with tough-love values. He is like a lone high beam piercing the fog of liberalism on the windy mountain road of our difficult times. He knows, instinctively, that the way back is the way foreward.

...and you are an expert on exactly what? Battery/transformer sales? Pot. Kettle. Black.

It does matter quite a bit actually, since medical technologies and pharmaceuticals that were once exotic, extremely costly, and rare become far less so over time if they are effective and offer sufficient advantages over the alternatives that pre-dated them.

The other trend is for a constant influx of new, expensive medications. Why can't the latest and greatest from 2-3 years ago be used to treat patients with less insurance? In many cases we're talking about marginal differences in efficacy, but a huge increase in cost.

FW is an expert in a vast landscape of subjects about which he has no personal experience. It is his specialty, almost sixth sense really. From welfare to warfare, he is our own one stop go to guy for judgements by proxy on a universe of tough issues requiring a man with tough-love values. He is like a lone high beam piercing the fog of liberalism on the windy mountain road of our difficult times. He knows, instinctively, that the way back is the way foreward.

...and you are an expert on exactly what? Battery/transformer sales? Pot. Kettle. Black.

Trashtalkingcunt is a jack of no trades and jackass of all spray.

It does matter quite a bit actually, since medical technologies and pharmaceuticals that were once exotic, extremely costly, and rare become far less so over time if they are effective and offer sufficient advantages over the alternatives that pre-dated them.

Destroy the mechanisms responsible for bringing new medical technologies and pharmaceuticals to market and you eliminate not only the costly treatments available to the few in the near-term, but more importantly, to everyone else in the long-term.

I think it is more accurate to say that most major advances in medicine have come from coodinated and mostly government efforts. Here is a relevant article in the Journal of the American Medical Association Medical Marvels: The 100 Greatest Advances in Medicine ... The authors assert that unbridled market forces restrict discovery and dissemination of knowledge I don't subsrcribe, so I cant actually call it up, but the synopsis sounds like it is consistent with other things I've read on this topic.

Most advances in public health also come from government efforts. For example: who wiped out Polio or TB? Hint: not the free market.

Market competition generates new medicine for erectile disfunction, or ever more clinics with MRI machines that are used over and over again when the result of the tests most often have no affect on the treatment prescribed but the tests cost thousands of dollars.

The other trend is for a constant influx of new, expensive medications. Why can't the latest and greatest from 2-3 years ago be used to treat patients with less insurance? In many cases we're talking about marginal differences in efficacy, but a huge increase in cost.

This is a completely pragmatic approach. In essence, it is the rationing of available healthcare and make total sense.

Destroy the mechanisms responsible for bringing new medical technologies and pharmaceuticals to market and you eliminate not only the costly treatments available to the few in the near-term, but more importantly, to everyone else in the long-term.

I think it is more accurate to say that most major advances in medicine have come from coodinated and mostly government efforts. Here is a relevant article in the Journal of the American Medical Association Medical Marvels: The 100 Greatest Advances in Medicine ... The authors assert that unbridled market forces restrict discovery and dissemination of knowledge I don't subsrcribe, so I cant actually call it up, but the synopsis sounds like it is consistent with other things I've read on this topic.

Most advances in public health also come from government efforts. For example: who wiped out Polio or TB? Hint: not the free market.

Market competition generates new medicine for erectile disfunction, or ever more clinics with MRI machines that are used over and over again when the result of the tests most often have no affect on the treatment prescribed but the tests cost thousands of dollars.

There's a one-page review of the book here:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1555657

Here's a list of new drugs approved for 2007:

Fenofibrate; For the treatment of hyperlipidemia, dyslipidemia and hypertriglyceridemia; LifeCycle Pharma; Approved August 2007

Letairis (ambrisentan); For the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension; Gilead; Approved June 2007

Soliris (eculizumab); For the treatment of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria; Alexion Pharm; Approved March 2007

Tekturna (aliskiren); For the treatment of hypertension; Novartis Pharms; Approved March 2007

Dental/Maxillofacial Surgery

No approvals recorded to date in this area.

Dermatology/Plastic Surgery

Altabax (retapamulin); For the treatment of impetigo due to Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus pyogenes; Glaxo; Approved April 2007

Extina (ketoconazole); For the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis; Stiefel; Approved June 2007

Xyzal (levocetirizine dihydrochloride); For the treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis and urticaria; UCB Inc.; Approved May 2007

Endocrinology

Evamist (estradiol); For the treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms due to menopause; Vivus; Approved July 2007

Fenofibrate; For the treatment of hyperlipidemia, dyslipidemia and hypertriglyceridemia; LifeCycle Pharma; Approved August 2007

Somatuline Depot (lanreotide acetate); For the treatment of acromegaly; Beaufour Ipsen; Approved August 2007[*]

Supprelin LA (histrelin acetate); For the treatment of central precocious puberty; Indevis Pharms; Approved May 2007

Gastroenterology

Hematology

Soliris (eculizumab); For the treatment of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria; Alexion Pharm; Approved March 2007

Immunology/Infectious Diseases

Altabax (retapamulin); For the treatment of impetigo due to Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus pyogenes; Glaxo; Approved April 2007

AzaSite (azithromycin); For the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis; InSite Vision; Approved April 2007

Extina (ketoconazole); For the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis; Stiefel; Approved June 2007

Selzentry (maraviroc); For the treatment of CCR5-tropic HIV-1; Pfizer; Approved August 2007

Veramyst (fluticasone furoate); For the treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis; GlaxoSmithKline; Approved April 2007

Xyzal (levocetirizine dihydrochloride); For the treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis and urticaria; UCB Inc.; Approved May 2007

Musculoskeletal

Evista (raloxifene hydrochloride); For the treatment/prevention of osteoporosis and reduction of breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women; Eli Lilly; Approved September 2007[*]

Reclast (zoledronic acid); For the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis; Novartis; Approved August 2007

Reclast (zoledronic acid); For the treatment of Paget's disease; Novartis Pharms; Approved April 2007

Somatuline Depot (lanreotide acetate); For the treatment of acromegaly; Beaufour Ipsen; Approved August 2007[*]

Nephrology/Urology

Torisel (temsirolimus); For the treatment of renal cell carcinoma; Wyeth Pharms; Approved May 2007

Neurology

Exelon (rivastigmine tartrate); For the treatment of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease-related dementia; Novartis Pharms; Approved July 2007

Neupro (rotigotine); For the treatment of Parkinson's disease; Schwarz; Approved May 2007

Nuvigil (armodafinil); For the treatment of excessive sleepiness; Cephalon; Approved June 2007

Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate); For the treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder; New River; Approved February 2007

Obstetrics/Gynecology

Evamist (estradiol); For the treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms due to menopause; Vivus; Approved July 2007

Evista (raloxifene hydrochloride); For the treatment/prevention of osteoporosis and reduction of breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women; Eli Lilly; Approved September 2007[*]

Reclast (zoledronic acid); For the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis; Novartis; Approved August 2007

Oncology

Torisel (temsirolimus); For the treatment of renal cell carcinoma; Wyeth Pharms; Approved May 2007

Tykerb (lapatinib); For the treatment of breast cancer; GlaxoSmithKline; Approved March 2007

Ophthalmology

AzaSite (azithromycin); For the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis; InSite Vision; Approved April 2007

Otolaryngology

Veramyst (fluticasone furoate); For the treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis; GlaxoSmithKline; Approved April 2007

Pediatrics/Neonatology

Supprelin LA (histrelin acetate); For the treatment of central precocious puberty; Indevis Pharms; Approved May 2007

Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate); For the treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder; New River; Approved February 2007

Zingo (lidocaine hydrochloride monohydrate); For local analgesia prior to venipuncture or peripheral intravenous cannulation, in children 3 to 18 years of age; Anesiva; Approved August 2007

Pharmacology/Toxicology

Psychiatry/Psychology

Pulmonary/Respiratory Diseases

Letairis (ambrisentan); For the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension; Gilead; Approved June 2007

Rheumatology

Trauma/Emergency Medicine

Cardiology/Vascular Diseases

Ranexa (ranolazine); For the treatment of chronic angina in patients failing first-line therapy; CV Therapeutics; Approved January 2006

Dental/Maxillofacial Surgery

Dermatology/Plastic Surgery

Desonate (desonide); For the treatment of atopic dermatitis; Dow Pharm; Approved October 2006

Verdeso (desonide); For the treatment of atopic dermatitis; Connetics; Approved September 2006

Endocrinology

Elestrin (estradiol gel); For the treatment of vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause; BioSante; Approved December 2006

Januvia(sitagliptin phosphate); For the treatment of type II diabetes; Merck; Approved October 2006

Gastroenterology

Amitiza (lubiprostone); For the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation; Sucampo/Takeda; Approved January 2006

Hematology

Dacogen (decitabine); For the treatment of both treatment-na�ve and -experienced Myelodysplastic Syndromes; MGI Pharma; Approved May 2006

Immunology/Infectious Diseases

Eraxis (anidulafungin); For the treatment of Candida fungal infections; Pfizer; Approved February 2006

Gardasil (quadrivalent human papillomavirus (types 6, 11, 16, 18) recombinant vaccine); For the prevention of cervical cancer associated with human papillomavirus; Merck; Approved June 2006

Noxafil (posaconazole); For the treatment of fungal infections; Schering; Approved in September 2006

Prezista (darunavir); For the treatment of treatment-resistant HIV infections; Tibotec; Approved June 2006

Rotateq (rotavirus vaccine, live oral pentavalent); For the prevention of gastroenteritis associated with rotavirus infections in infants; Merck; Approved February 2006

Tyzeka (telbivudine); For the treatment of hepatitis B virus; Idenix Pharma; Approved October 2006

Veregen (kunecatechins); For the treatment of external genital and perianal warts; Medigene; Approved October 2006

Musculoskeletal

Nephrology/Urology

Neurology

Invega (paliperidone); For the treatment of schizophrenia; Janssen LP; Approved December 2006

Obstetrics/Gynecology

Elestrin (estradiol gel); For the treatment of vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause; BioSante; Approved December 2006

Oncology

Gardasil (quadrivalent human papillomavirus (types 6, 11, 16, 18) recombinant vaccine); For the prevention of cervical cancer associated with human papillomavirus; Merck; Approved June 2006

Sprycel (dasatinib); For the treatment of imatinib-resistant chronic myeloid leukemia; Bristol-Myers Squibb; Approved June 2006

Sutent (sunitinib); For the treatment of kidney cancer and gastrointestinal stromal tumors; Pfizer; Approved January 2006

Vectibix (panitumumab); For the treatment of colorectal cancer; Amgen; Approved September 2006

Ophthalmology

Lucentis (ranibizumab); For the treatment of neovascular (wet) age related macular degeneration; Genentech; Approved June 2006

Otolaryngology

Pediatrics/Neonatology

Desonate (desonide); For the treatment of atopic dermatitis; Dow Pharm; Approved October 2006

Elaprase (idursulfase); For the treatmenr of mucopolysaccharidosis II (Hunter Syndrome); Shire Pharmaceuticals; Approved July 2006

Myozyme (alglucosidase alfa); For the treatment of Pompe disease (glycogen storage disease type II); Genzyme; Approved April 2006

Pharmacology/Toxicology

Psychiatry/Psychology

Chantix (varenicline); For the treatment of nicotine addiction; Pfizer; Approved May 2006

Invega (paliperidone); For the treatment of schizophrenia; Janssen LP; Approved December 2006

Pulmonary/Respiratory Diseases

Brovana (arformoterol tartrate); For the treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease; Sepracor; Approved in October 2006

Rheumatology

Elaprase (idursulfase); For the treatmenr of mucopolysaccharidosis II (Hunter Syndrome); Shire Pharmaceuticals; Approved July 2006

Trauma/Emergency Medicine

"

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/drugs/druglist.html

Scroll through the list of approved drugs for each of the last 10 years and let me know how well it validates your thesis that the market has hopelessly compromised the process of drug discovery to favor "lifestyle" drugs to the detriment of those suffering from more grave afflictions. :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet that you understand even less about what drives medical innovation in general, and drug discovery in particular - than you do about economics, which is quite something.

Yeah, the gov't is responsible for all advances in medicine. :laf:

Government is the solution to everything! The only, most-efficient, bestest way to get things done, ever!!

Find me a medical research scientist who received their degree from a school which does not receive substantial federal research grants.

The free-market is excells at producing commercial solutions of basic research. Rarely does it produce any of it's own basic research (perhaps the biggest "Private" producer of basic research this century was Bell Labs, the product of a government sanctioned monopoly and the pricing power it had)

A large portion of drug company research is oriented toward making variants of preexisting drugs which can either be patented or which avoid other companies patents.

and which have marginal improvements in efficacy or reduced side-effects. which brings back my point about using older drugs when possible as cost-effective alternatives.

Um...JayB...just provide the link next time so the rest of us don't have to scroll down yet another tome we're never going to bother to wade through. Common courtesy. Jesus.

Not only that, but he fails to address any of my arguments while calling me ignorant. Does a list of patents refute even the last of at least four basic points I made? No. He doesn't state that those patents, or which ones, were obtained by private companies not funded by government grants.

I'd be the first one to admit that I am no expert in this area, but the inept attempt to "rebut" my statements makes me wonder just how much of an expert JayB is, too.

Um...JayB...just provide the link next time so the rest of us don't have to scroll down yet another tome we're never going to bother to wade through. Common courtesy. Jesus.

Not only that, but he fails to address any of my arguments while calling me ignorant. Does a list of patents refute even the last of at least four basic points I made? No. He doesn't state that those patents, or which ones, were obtained by private companies not funded by government grants.

I'd be the first one to admit that I am no expert in this area, but the inept attempt to "rebut" my statements makes me wonder just how much of an expert JayB is, too.

Here's the "argument" that I was rebutting:

"Market competition generates new medicine for erectile disfunction..."

How well does the list of drugs brought to market between 1995-2007 actually jive with the claim that in the absence of government compulsion, the pharmaceutical industry will fritter away valuable research money on trivial maladies and ignore serious diseases?

With regards to Viagra, were you aware of the fact that the drug in question - sildenafil - was actually developed to treat hypertension and angina - and the effect on impotence was only discovered as a side effect during trials? Or that minoxidil was developed to treat high blood pressue, and that it's effect on male pattern baldness was a side effect that they discovered during clinical trials? That finasteride/propecia was developed to treat enlarged prostates and...you get the idea, I hope.

You also seem to have little appreciation for the difference between identifying a potential therapeutic target in a lab undertaking basic research, and translating that discovery into a drug that exploits that target. The process is neither automatic, nor trivial, and both this process and bringing the drug to market require a set of capacities and involves a set of challenges quite different from those associated with administering an academic laboratory. Ditto for the role that the profits, personnel, facilities, equipment maintained by some of the drugs that you deride play in supporting research into diseases that the unaflicted deem worthy of consideration.

Ditto for the role that profits play in attracting the capital necessary to finance the development of new drugs.

Has basic research conducted in non-commercial settings been necessary for the discovery and development of new drugs and devices been necessary? Absolutely. Sufficient? No way.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert on these matters by any means, but I'm pretty confident that I'm way more qualified to comment on them than you are.

Jay, your slipping here.

First of all, market competition HAS generated new medicines for erectile disfunction. More than one. I have more than one friend who has worked for Icos, and they have told me they made more money on ED than anything else - and that was their business plan. Perhaps they are disgruntled employees?

Second, I didn't say that there is or should be "government compulsion" but I DID say there was and should be government and other "coordinated" funding and this has proven central to most pharmaceutical research that actually produces real breakthroughs. (I could be wrong, as I acknowledged, but I have read this steadily for many years and I believe it is likely true.)

I DID say that public health advances have come about in large part through government-directed programs. You have not even tried to refute that.

I did suggest that many of the "services" offered in modern American medical practice are not really linked to any "therapeutic target" as you say, and you didn't refute this.

You and I can differ as to whether private insurance companies and the research department at Pfizer are more likely to be looking out for yours and my interests in living healthy lives than might be the National Institute of Health or whatever but, if you want to "debate," please answer the argument.