New Harness?

David_Parker

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey David, I like the BD Blizzard, it's actually lighter than the alpine bod, just more expensive, good for alpine and ice. Most shops carry it.

A buddy of mine used this ultralight Cassin harness, it's way skimpy looking but he loves it, didn't even complain when hangdogging his way up the Gendarme on Stuart...Promountainsports carries them (of course).

I climb in the Wild Things Espresso. $50. Just like Alpine Bod, simple, durable, unpadded (not a prob. when mountaineering or ice climbing) and adjustable leg loops. Has 4 tough gear loops too. When I bought mine they were doing a deal with USHBA and I also received a free Big Wall Hauler. That was in the Fall of '98. I still love it though and it has been everywhere with me.

yeah dave the buckle is changed

i would look at the arcteryx vario...same harness as the bd blizzard...but it has a longer rise in it so it will fit a little nicer...

both these harnesss i have used for walls, ice and the rest of the shizzy

eri

k

DP-

I just recently replaced my harness, and was looking for a simmilar light-do-it-all harness. I had been eyeing the Arc'terryx Verro for a while (1 oz heavier than the alpine bod). However I didn't like their two seperate leg-loop dropping clips.

I went with a knock off of the Verro made by Rock Empire. It was 1/2 the price ($30 US at MEC), has adjustable legloops, nice sized belay loop (small width webbing), and was actually more comfortable to hang in. The only draw back I've found is that the buckles are a little "tight" still.

but by all means, get rid of that alpine bod while you can still have children!! [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by ryland moore:

I climb in the Wild Things Espresso. $50. Just like Alpine Bod, simple, durable, unpadded (not a prob. when mountaineering or ice climbing) and adjustable leg loops. Has 4 tough gear loops too. When I bought mine they were doing a deal with USHBA and I also received a free Big Wall Hauler. That was in the Fall of '98. I still love it though and it has been everywhere with me.

The bummer is that Wild Things no longer makes harnesses or climbing softgoods (runners, etc). It was basically because of rising insurance costs, and low priced overseas competition (rock empire, etc).

Their Espresso and Ice/Rock Raptor harnesses were pretty cool too. It is sad to see the number of options availible to us as consumers dwindle.

Metolious used to make a harness about 8 yrs ago (cant remember the name) that was VERY similar to the custom made ones above.

[ 10-24-2002, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Ibex ]