Beta on tent for Denali?

Pete_Staples

Bibler Tempest

Rommier for extended days in the tent, with two doors and vestibules. $100 less than and I-tent, and only about a pound heavier than I-tent w/vestibule.

Not all that more expensive than other bomber 4 season tents, and single wall is the way to go for cold weather/high altitudes...IMHO

If you decide to buy a VE-25, save your self the trouble and just flush your money down the toilet before wasting your time with North Face... [Razz] yeah I'm a gear snob, so what [Wazzup][big Drink]

[ 10-22-2002, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't say how many were in your party. My partner and I used a Bibler Bombshelter and had a lovely time in spacious comfort. Two vestibules, one big enough to cook in and enough floor space for gear and sleeping bags. Easy to erect from inside (huh huh he said "erect") and bomber single-wall construction. I bit heavier on the back and the wallet (thank god for pro deals).

I slept in one (Stepheson Warmlite) once, not much head room and I am only 4foot13. [Eek!]

My friend has used hers for 2 multi-month ski tours (Vancouver to Skagway + complete St Elias) and seems to have pretty good durability. The thing is so light and flimsy feeling though, I don't think I'd want it with me if I was climbing Denali.

Bibler.

I took a Fitzroy. It's roomy enough for 2 and stout. 4 poles, low profile, available now w/ 2 vestibules sewn on, I believe. I remember lying in it at 17k w/ big gusts just rocking me from side to side and being happy I had big walls and a bibler. Weight is better or comparable on similar sized tents, probably about 8+ lbs w/ the vestibule.

quote:

Originally posted by fern:

. . .The thing is so light and flimsy feeling though, I don't think I'd want it with me if I was climbing Denali.

I saw a few of these tents on Denali. They are popular with the euros. Stood up pretty well from what I saw.

Then again, I saw a father/son team with a coleman tent that was patched with duct tape.

YMMV

[ 10-22-2002, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: rbw1966 ]

I used a NF ve-25 last year and it was pretty good. I am not a big fan of anything north face but this is a good tent. I am a big fan of single wall tents but there are advantages of two walled tents over single wall tents.

My favorite double wall tent ever though is the wild country / terra nova tents. These are made in britian and have no b.s. in the design. Lots of guy lines in all the right places. Simple vestiblue design. If you can find one, I highly suggest their expedition model. I had one on acconcagua and it withstood many hard windstorms.

I am also a hardcore Bibler fan.....I have used my Fitzroy since 96', from rainy trail hikes, to winter camping with heavy snowloads, to local mountaineering trips to international climbs. Great tent, great lifetime warranty. I tried all the rest and settled with the best....Now I am saving my nickels and dimes for a bombshelter....I'll have to sell more [HORSECOCK]

I am planning on doing Denali. There are a lot of 4 season tents out there, but I am sure they are not all equal. Would appreciate any beta on tents that work better then most when faced with higher levels of wind and snowfall. I was thinking about the North Face VE-25, but am keeping an open mind. Would appreciate any suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Last trip I took a bibler, and found out that thier quality has gone downhill. Saw alot of MH Trango 2-3's doing quite well up there if weight isnt an issue...

I just purchased a new Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT which will definitely be the ticket. Under 8 lbs, sleeps 3 comfy, and a MASSIVE vestibule that you can actually cook/live in! (Its more like a Bibler Fitxroy with a Megamid for a vestibule.

Much more wind resistant than dome style tents, and the customer service is astonishing! Can we say same day delivery for no extra charge with a 30% discount?!?

Its also a double wall which can be nice on Denali. fruit.gif

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Hillebergs where it's at! The Staika is the one i'll be getting. 2, not one, yes, count them, 2; 2 vestibules! hahaha.gif I'm 6'7" and I fit in the sucker with room the spare. Those swedes make em LOOONNNGGG. I'm hopeing to borrow it for Denali from a guy if he doesn't go to Fairweather...again.

a vote of confidence for the Hilleburgs; they are stout tents for their weight, some have a massive vestibule, the fabrics are incredibly strong for the weight (three different weights), and for the weight of a bibler bombshelter (which, by the way, weighs in at over a pound heavier than mfg's weight) you get a double wall (i.e. WARMER) tent with a bigasss vestibule. Check them out.

The distributor is here in the Seattle area, and she has most every tent set up in the showroom, so you can dig around in figure out which one will work for you... I'd give them strong consideration for a Denali trip.

My favorite double wall tent ever though is the wild country

I have a Wild Country Mountain tent (used to be the Quasar). Two man tent (but i've slept three in it. Well, two girls, one guy, which makes it bearable), double wall, blah, blah. Similar in desing to the North Face Mountain Tent or some such, but over a pound lighter and it has 2 vestibules. I have been very happy with it. If you are looking at double wall and/or may have some monetary restrictions, check it out. I think they have come down in price substantially since I bought mine.

Edited by dbconlin

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an idea. What about combining the poles, fly and footprint from a bomber free standing 4 season tent with an ultra light single wall tent (Bibler or whatever). I would sew the fly to the footprint, set it up as the permanent base camp tent with vestibule and plenty of storage space. Set up the small single wall tent inside it as an extra warm bedroom when you are holed up at base camp, and take the 4 pound single wall with you to your high altitude camps. I would be reluctant to use any tent that depends on stakes to remain erect on a stormy peak like Denali. cantfocus.gif

I had the Bibler I-tent in Alaska and liked it enough for 1, but not for 2. Kelley Cordes had a Fitzroy I think and it was really nice. There is really something to be said about a single wall tent for the windier, higher elev and colder camps. They do pretty well and are pretty quiet. The drawback is you have to be very very careful when shovelling them out (which will be often) as the shovel blade tends to cut the walls pretty easily and then you have a real repair job ahead of you.

I also slept in an MEC copy of the Wild Things (Quazar?) tent. It was nice for 2.

We almost never cooked in the vestibule. If it was storming out, you just put on your gear and cooked and shovelled at the same time - 2 birds with 1 stone.

Alex

Nick, I don't think you will be using "stakes" on Denali. You will probably be uisng stuff sacks filled with snow as your "stakes" to anchor down your guy lines and base. Coupled with a screw or two or maybe a picket or two in bad conditions for the base, you won't need tent "stakes" on Denali. At least as to how I define stakes. Ie. the ones that come with the tent.

won't need stakes on Denali? I've done five trips to the alaska range and have always used stakes. Sure you want to take advantage of other things you are carrying like ski poles pickets etc. but you will need those things when you are away from camp. and the small stakes that come with tent buried like a deadman actually work very well. and they are super light, and take way less time than filling sacks with snow and digging huge holes for then.

And also don't forget your "steaks" eating well is very important!!!!

dale

Daler, you may have had good experience with them, but I have had trouble with setting small, standard stakes that come with my Mt. HW tent as deadmaen. They melt out easier, have less surface area, especially in fresh powder, and are harder to work with in very cold conditions. Bronco's link is what I use now as my four corners and on the main guys in the center of the tent. I use smaller stuff sacks on the upper guys, but still carry a dew stakes in case I need one (although the last few trips I've done, I haven't used the stakes once. You may be right and you have been to AK a lot more than I have. I will probably bring them, but for convenience, only use my system unless I feel stakes are warranted. Thanks for the insight! bigdrink.gif