Book recommendations for first aid?

Swedish_Chef

Any suggestions on good books for climbing-related first-aid response? Is the "Medicine for Mountaineering and other wilderness..." from the Mountaineers any good?

(I know that there are quite mixed feelings for the Mounties - an organisation which I know absolutely nothing about. I can only say that "Extreme Alpinism" and Freedom of the Hills are damn good books in my opinion).

Since I have to order any books over the internet I turn to you cc.comers to spray about your feelings -

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Medicine for Mountaineering is good if you can wade through all that text.

Another good one is the accompanying manual to the WFR course, The Wilderness First Responder. It is sometimes at REI and places like that.

Here's another good definitive text:

-

quote:

Originally posted by Swedish Chef:

Is the "Medicine for Mountaineering and other wilderness..." from the Mountaineers any good?

(I know that there are quite mixed feelings for the Mounties - an organisation which I know absolutely nothing about. I can only say that "Extreme Alpinism" and Freedom of the Hills are damn good books in my opinion).

Medicine for Moutaineering is a very good introductory wilderness medicine text - if your looking for more information than it provides, it's best to take a class.

As for the Mountaineers, the books division is seperate from the bulk of the club - it's not the same beast & is probably the biggest US publisher of climbing books.

Carl

Ya, the focus on injuries sustained out in the sticks requires a different approach to care than what typical first aid covers, wihich is geared to the "golden hour" theorum of patient care- which is mainly about stabilizing the patient. Issues specific to patient care when help is far away is an important distinction from "first" aid in the woods like,keeping focused thru extended care ordeals, records of vitals, maintain or evacuate, whe to discontinue CPR, how to deal with this shit in the woods, and other issues.

I don't have any specific book reccommendations, the wildmedinstutite dude up at northcascades base camp in mazama hasd got some texts available, I think., Wildmedinstitute.org? or something like that. Paul . . . ?