trail vs. ordinary running shoes

lizard_brain

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trail shoes have improved lateral stability, harder soles, stiffer cushioning and a more agressive sole pattern for better traction. I find a big difference in running in road shoes versus trail running shoes. I have rolled my ankle trail running in road shoes but never while wearing trail shoes.

• 2 weeks later...
I have rolled my ankle trail running in road shoes but never while wearing trail shoes.

Trail shoes usually have a lower profile sole (i.e. your foot is closer to the ground) to help prevent lateral rolling. This comes at the expense of cushioning, but trails are much softer to run on than asphalt or concrete. Something to keep in mind if you plan to use one pair of shoes for both trail and road.

I tried running on a little too much pavement with my trail/cross shoes. It screwed up my shins and I had to totally quit running for several months. If you're going to run on trails and soft surfaces, get shoes for it. If you're going to run on hard pavement, you might need the extra cushioning, at least I did. Don't go thinking that if "it's built for the trail" that it can handle anything the city will dish out. There is a difference although I'm sure you can find exceptions to the rule and of course everyone has different feet.

I've been running trails on a street shoe under the stipulation that I use my stiff orthotics with them (suggestion from a local running store).

I've found that even with the stiff full length orthotics I have come very near to rolling my ankles multiple times. So, I tried out a pair of these:

7954-444952-p.jpg

Low profile, remarkable cusioning for reasonably short stretches of pavement (as in running from your house to get to the trail) and incredibly supportive (the tongue doesn't move; it's sewn in place, and the whole shoe fits more like a sock than a shoe). In short, it summarizes everything people have stated above.

Haven't come close to rolling an ankle since.

I agree - more lateral support in the trail runners. Mine have a sticky dot rubber sole and a defined heal which provides great traction on the trail but makes them unsuitable for pavement. I think they'd get chewed up pretty fast. I've worn my standard runners on the trail before and they work ok in some cases but not on steep or wet terrain nor on uneven trails where my trail runners excel. They'll do even better when I put in a stiffer in-sole to protect the dogs from the really rocky trails though :)

I agree - more lateral support in the trail runners. Mine have a sticky dot rubber sole and a defined heal which provides great traction on the trail but makes them unsuitable for pavement. I think they'd get chewed up pretty fast. I've worn my standard runners on the trail before and they work ok in some cases but not on steep or wet terrain nor on uneven trails where my trail runners excel. They'll do even better when I put in a stiffer in-sole to protect the dogs from the really rocky trails though :)

What brand are they?

New Balance does put out nice trail runners.

Adidas used to have a model that was great for me - the TR (trail response).

As for the lateral business, it seems to me that some models are

"outdoor" running shoes, and some are "trail runners", with the former being re-badged shoes with beefier soles, and the latter being a ground-up design.

Also go for #2.

I've been using my Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCR shoes this summer. They're relatively stiff for a trail runner, so I've been able to strap on crampons for short snow/ice approaches. I'm also able to slop through puddles without worrying about soaking my socks. So far, they've performed well.

After switching from boots to trail runners, I'll never go back to boots (unless I'll be carrying a large pack... and need more support). IMHO, for weekend outings trail runners are ideal.

Less weight on your feet = more mileage!

That's what I'm thinking... I had a bit of bad luck with the pair of trail runners I bought and did the Wonderland Trail with a couple of years ago. Did the first 50 miles in 2 days, and finished the trip in 2.5 days. My pack was 13 pounds before food & water. But I wear Brooks running shoes for training and marathoning and I think they're great, and I'm thinking about giving Brooks trail running shoes a try, just because they might fit the same. I don't even remember what I used on the Wonderland Trail - they blistered my toes, and threw them away when I got home.

What brand are they?

La Sportiva Exum Ridge

The main thing I look for in a trail shoe is traction on wet rock. None of the regular running shoes have wet rock traction. Only some of the trail shoes do. It's more of a rubber compound than a plastic one. Usually it's black, anything that's colored is usually plastic.

As wet as it is around here it's a must on the trails.