ice tools

gym_rat

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-

Okay...these fuckers with their pinky fuckthings and all are a pain in the ass in applications where a regular ice axe would excel. If I was climbing something where I was spending most of my time at 60 degrees or steeper I'd take em both. But they would suck on a crevasse field. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [big Drink]

It's pretty simple guys. You should have two sets of tools. One for alpine with a straight or mildly bent shaft with no pinky thingy and another set for water ice. Do your own thing with the water ice techno leashless pinky knob bullshit if you want, but just remember...ice climbing is more about your feet than the tools!

I have 2 bent shaft Pulsars and they are awesome for everything I've done so far. Although I do have to say the Cobras are pretty nice.

The new tools help make ice climbing easier to a degree, but as I painfully learned last year after breaking a couple fingers, technology doesn't replace technique.

[ 10-23-2002, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: TimL ]

I guess I'm so old school I have about 8 different ice axes I can choose from 'cause I don't sell them when I get new ones. I keep them for friends or for just being able to choose depending on the climb. I pretty much save my cobra's for water ice and I love 'em. I thought I was cheating when I first started using them. For Alpine I have my old waterice tools: x-15 brs straight shaft with alaska picks. That's if I need 2 tools. I also have older original x-15 (blue fiberglass) One is a mutant that's 57.5 cm which works great with a classic pick. I have mini grivel for second tool where I know I might not really need it much.

I understand the affordable thing, but the older tools that work for alpine should be pretty darn cheap second hand. Saves wear and tear on the expensive ones too and you won't be bummed if you accidently drop one down the mountain side. Also, I don't like switching picks and leashes around. What I like for alpine isn't the same for water ice. Just grab 'em and go!

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

Or you bring 1 tool with the pinky fuckthing and 1 straight shaft Rage, Black Prophet or whatever. You don't need two completely different sets of tools. Shit...regular ice axes don't climb mellow alpine ice that bad either.

I think Eddie's got a good system here. I have a straight shafted SMC axe, one that most hot shot ice climbers would turn their noses up at, but one that actually penetrates real well and that removes OK on waterfalls or alpine applications. When I pair it with a curved pinkyfuckthing axe, I may have to make an extra placement when faced with a bulge or a mantle on a fully inserted shaft, but I can usually get the job done.

Right you only really need one tool you can plunge most of the time and that can double as a third tool when on the steep stuff.

quote:

Broken picks = bad technique

Like snoboy said we're talking a lot of picks here and in this case those doing the breaking (not my good self) actually have technique. Most people I know swear by the Aermet picks that BD no longer make and are less than impressed with the newer replacements.

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

-

Grivel makes a Top wing, Tech wing, Alp wing, and Light wing. This is the Light wing. I have a pair of Alp wings, which differ by having a rubber grip and a steel spike. I'm a beginner at ice climbing, and they work for me. The Tech wing and Top wing are more radically curved.

I think there's a bit of confusion here.

I know you can stick a radically bent tool when the angle of the slope is low. Duh.

I disagree that on steeper snow/ic slopes you can "just bring a picket". I suppose if you only climb classic, fat ice in prime conditions with the occasional snow traverse, that ol' picket will do you well.

However, if you've ever found yourself on 60° rime over ice and rocks where the only way upward progress can be made is to jam both shafts into the crap and yard yourself up on those, you might wish you could actually get your shafts into the slope.

My question about the Quark ($146 at sportextreme, BTW) is related more to the plungeability than stickability. Does the pinky fuckstickâ„¢ seriously limit this ability?

It sounds like the answer is mostly yes.

Kick steps in the rime ice and use your picket instead of the tool if it's that bad. Walk up. I'm not advocating 2 sets of tools. If you think the pinkyfuckthing aint for you then don't buy the tools. It's that simple [Razz]

Or you can always use one of these trusty little fuckers. I hear 2nd bounce has a ton of em. I got one used from bug a while back. Used it twice already.

-

[ 10-24-2002, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Like a number of people who've contributed to this thread, I'm also pondering some new sticks this year. My tools work fine, but more shaft clearance would be nice. Cost is one of the big limiting factors of the potential upgrades. An unmentioned factor is the potential trend towards leashless climbing. Those pinky protectors on the Quark would seem to offer enough support for a few guys to climb 5+ "sans dragonnes" without resorting to the wierdness of the Ergo or the Scud.

Late last winter there was an interesting e-mail debate based out of Canada, about the acceptability of leashless climbing. Among those who came out strongly in favour were Jack Roberts, Conrad Anker, Kim Csizmazia, Bruno Sourzac, Duncun Ferguson, Eric Dumerac and Sean Issac. The combined group has a pretty strong CV.

I hope she doesn't mind, but I'm taking the privilege of quoting Csizmazia regarding the change:

"I was around during the inception of leashless climbing. I resisted, as it was forced on me.

Climbing only in North America for the last two seasons allowed me to stay in the hole. As great

a hole as it is there is a whole new world out there. It is not changing. It has done gone and changed. Those of you who are reading this who have not witnessed it would not believe your eyes. Rest assured

shit is different out there. More different than you will want to imagine. I know because I have had to struggle with my own resistence."

Might be something to think about…

GB, not climbing on leashless technoloy