ice tools

gym_rat

there's always a market for used beginner's tools, especially ones that can do alpine duty adequately as well. Just buy something inexpensive and go climbing and figure out what features YOU need. If you don't like them after a while then sell them and buy something else. just my opinion. People were climbing WI4 before I was born with wooden shafted droop-picked shiz and strap-on crampons. You don't need tech and flash to get out on classic moderates.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure aint but a little lightweight technology gives the comfort and more boldness than say the hummingbird or Terrordactyls. [laf]

Give me the technology. You two can have the seventies bs. Initially I bought the bd prophets. Puke tools in my opinion. I saw the advantages of a good tool. Call it bad technique but I got no shame.

I bet you both use leashes too [Razz] Leashes are aid climbing foos [MR T]

[ 10-22-2002, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

good luck trying to find 70s shit. that's not what I meant. If you can find Rages or Rambos or Machines or whateverthef@#$ for a good deal on the InterNet then buy it and just go climbing. You won't know what's best for you 'til you get out there, like you said with the prophets Caveman.

I got to try some Simond Najas the other weekend and liked them a lot. The grip is very small so my hands were not as tired as with my bd prophets, and the pick sunk with the lightest flick. I actually like the prophets but they are heavy and the grip is wide, and that full-length rubber coating makes it difficult to slide the leash up so I can hit the head to release a stuck tool. I just have the leashes attached to the head now. Funny hearing people call them old stuff since they were top of the line not so long ago.

Anyone ever tried to use a quark in an alpine setting? I've got a set of Pulsars, which work well for plunging. I tried a bunch of different tools this summer and felt the quarks to be the best (for me, anyway) and ordered a set from sportextreme a few weeks ago. I'd assumed they were too radically bent to use for alpine climbing, but would like to hear if anyone has anything to say about them. They're amazing for me on vertical ice, and I intend to use them mainly for Ouray and waterfall type climbing.

I've been using a pair of Quasars for the last few years and unfortunately they blow for alpine. Any of the tools with the radically curved shafts are going to suck for anything other than vertical ice and mixed climbing.

I got to use the Cobras for the first time last year and found their swing weight to be lighter than I'm used to. If you're used to heavier tools, like the Quasars or Quarks you might find yourself swinging the lightweight tools twice to set them instead of just once.

Anyways, whatever - they all work. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

I've been using a pair of Quasars for the last few years and unfortunately they blow for alpine. Any of the tools with the radically curved shafts are going to suck for anything other than vertical ice and mixed climbing.

Whatever [Roll Eyes] I use my light machines without a problem on less than vertical ice all the time. I used to think they did not work well on it until I actually tried it. That's what I get for listening to people tell me when and where I could use them.

[ 10-23-2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

I got this fucker and it works on any ice. Just putting doubt into the theories (cough cough bullshit) that radically bent tools with pinky fuckthings aren't good on low angle or alpine ice. IT'S AN ICE TOOL [Razz] If I'm burying the shaft in snow then I am walking not climbing ice [Cool]

-

[ 10-23-2002, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]