ice tools

gym_rat

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so I thought to myself.... Do you give them a fish, or teach them to fish...?

In the upper right corner of your screen there is a "search" hotlink that will allow you to search the posts on this board. This topic has been debated to death.

You asked a fair question, dont make the mistake in thinking that the answer is not already out there.

Cheers [big Drink]

Shawn

Factor in another $30 for a hacksaw to "modify" them with and they might even make an alpine tool. Saw off the pinkie widget and the top of the pick so it doesn't dig into your hand when holding it in the cane position.

Beware Cobra picks... they seem to snap a lot, I've not used them but can account for ten breakages between three people who have. For alpine use I have a set of Shrikes and really like the Alaska picks which work fine in the Rages, based on some brief testing at Baker last weekend.

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

Broken picks = bad technique

How about (bad technique) + (weak picks) = (broken picks)

I'm not much of an ice climber, but a friend who is reports 3 broken cobra picks last winter versus 1 or 2 picks in the last 8...

quote:

Originally posted by Ade:

Saw off the pinkie widget and the top of the pick so it doesn't dig into your hand when holding it in the cane position.

Try to find an old Classic pick for them. Then you can use that with a hammer head for a wicked alpine tool when going up and over where there is more snow than ice. I think BD don't make them any more [Frown]

While you've got the saw out look at how the wide part of the adze gets in the way too when your hand is on top.

Cap. Caveman and I argue 'till we are blue in the friggin' face about ice gear, but he is absolutely correct with recommending Grivels. They have not left the buyer holding his dick/or her crotch in his/her hand when they changed picks like BD and CM. The only thing I have seen BD come out with in the last few years that I like are their new crampons. Very similar to M-10's but without the big price tag for replacement parts. "Ice is nice and shall suffice"(B. Sumner) [big Drink]