Mt. shasta in December

aussie69

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can ski down that route back to the car in an hour or two. If there is a good bootpath, it isn't unreasonable to make it go in a day. I think we did it early season without skis in 11 hours car to car (we even stopped to almost barf). There was snow about 3/4 of the time and a little scramble around 12,000 feet. FYI. Have fun and be safe.

A winter climb is a great way too learn. AS LONG as you're with a few mates that know what there doing an have been doing so for MANY years. can't replace Experience and Intelligence with Balls and Stupidity!

The republicans have been trying this for years. I agree. Don't go Ramboing up there unless someone knows what they are doing.

Thanks.

A winter climb is a great way too learn. AS LONG as you're with a few mates that know what there doing an have been doing so for MANY years. can't replace Experience and Intelligence with Balls and Stupidity!

My personal advice would be to develop your skillz during spring/early summer mountaineering trips first and foremost. Then pursue an avalanche training course to gain the ability to evaluate different snowpack conditions, in order to accurately assess the risk of winter climbing. Once you have all those skills, and ideally proficiency using avy beacons and avy rescue, then you can begin to consider winter ascents on peaks above 14K. This may be more conservative than most, but it is the approach I am comfortable with personally. Just my $0.02