Pearly Gates - Leavenworth

ericb

Thinking about a hookey day in the next couple weeks, and wanting sharpen the skilz after a long climbing reprieve. From what I've heard/read, PG looks like a good place to get in a lot of mods without a lot of travel. Thinking (hoping) I'm good for 5.8, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be too chicken to lead the 5.9s, but curious if there are some that can be toproped? Also are the ratings pretty accurate?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratings seem pretty fair at PG, if not a bit soft. Plenty of the 9's can be TR'd by climbing 5.8's. Cloud Nine has a 5.8 first pitch and a 5.9 second pitch, but only for one or two moves (don't miss this climb!). Celestial Groove is true 5.9 with a V1/2 boulder problem off the ground (it can also be TR'd by walking around the left side of the crag). Check out Loaves of Fun for another fantastic 5.8. There is a cool 5.8 crack to the right of Cloud Nine called No Room for Squares and a 5.9 to the right of that called Lost Souls that can be TR'd by leading NRFS (the crux is short, though, so it would make a good 5.9 lead).

This is one of those crags where you can get in a ton of laps. The granite there makes me want to quit grad school and become a dirtbag.

Lost souls was one of my first 5.9 leads, short crux but attention getting on lead. Very fun and protects really well.

There are some fun bolted slab routes on the right side crag near Loaves of Fun. The Dog Ate My Top 5.7, The Scene is Clean 5.8 and the upper pitch of Milky Way 5.9 (easier than it looks).

Once you cross the irrigation canal, just find the trai and then find your way across teh creek and pick up the trail on the other side. It's pretty obvious.

If you have time at the end of the day there are two 5.8+ ptiches really close to the road that are worth trying, Dogleg Crack and Classic Crack. Both are pretty physical but protect very well and can be toproped.