Resoling Climbing Shoes

olyclimber

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten few shoes resoled from Mountain Soles. My experience is that he may not be the world's fastest resoler, but he does a really good job, and the fact that you don't have to wait for shipping pretty much makes up the speed difference.

I agree completely... He takes a little while but the job he does is well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have experience with Mountain Soles in Portland? That's who was recommended to me (for local work).

Chad

Mountain Soles used to be based in Trout Lake, and the guy did awesome work. I think he sold the business to the folks who run it in Portland now. I had a pair done a few years ago and the toe tips delaminated almost immediately. Still, that was awhile ago and they may have gotten better.

I think the comments about Dave Page & Ramuta point up the importance of the cobbler actually doing the work. Dave Page has a larger outfit, so you don't know who will be the hands on person. I've heard the same story from the Rubber Room in Bishop with the same result: variable quality, from totally awesome to hideous. The advantage to Ramuta is that he's a one man operation, you know who's going to do the repair.

Along that line, the guy in Joshua Tree, he posts voluminously on Supertopo as Locker, is another one man operation that turns out a good consistent resole.

I've got two pairs due for another round, they'll be going to Ramuta.

Anyone have experience with Mountain Soles in Portland? That's who was recommended to me (for local work).

Chad

Mountain Soles used to be based in Trout Lake, and the guy did awesome work. I think he sold the business to the folks who run it in Portland now. I had a pair done a few years ago and the toe tips delaminated almost immediately. Still, that was awhile ago and they may have gotten better.

I think the comments about Dave Page & Ramuta point up the importance of the cobbler actually doing the work. Dave Page has a larger outfit, so you don't know who will be the hands on person. I've heard the same story from the Rubber Room in Bishop with the same result: variable quality, from totally awesome to hideous. The advantage to Ramuta is that he's a one man operation, you know who's going to do the repair.

Yes, Bill McKinney used to own Mt Soles and ran it out of Trout Lake. He sold the business about 10 years ago.

• 5 weeks later...

if just the toe rubber of my shoes is worn through what repair do I need? 1/2 or full repair? also, is Onyx rubber more durable then c4? I have a pair of 5.10 moccosyns that I use predominately for trad, and I like slabs. thanks, this is only sorta related to this thread.

You need a 1/2 and possibly a rand patch or two. (depending on how worn the rubber under the sole/around the edge of the shoe is).

Onyx is more durable then c4 but c4 is softer which most people find more reassuring on crystalline granite.

Ramuta ( http://www.ramutasresoles.com/aboutus.htm ) does a great job with mocs though a broken in pair will never edge as well as a new pair do to continued stretching of the leather.

I highly recommend Barry's Resoles in Auberry, CA. By far the best work I've had done on my shoes. I've used Page, Yosemitebum/Evolve and others without problems, but Barry's work is superb. I believe he's a one-man operation, either way the work is consistently of high quality and he's just a really nice guy.

Some more opinions re. Barry at http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=251746&tn=40

Barry's Resoles:

half soles stealth onyxx $36

half soles stealth c4 $34

rand repair (ea.) $10

s/h $7

ea. add. pr. $2

Barry's Resoles

41585 Auberry Road

Auberry, CA 93602

ph: 559/855-4511

• 2 years later...

Just felt I should add something here. I have worked for a few climbing shoe resoling shops over the years and here are a few observations. firstly, Dave himself hasn't touched a rock shoe in many years, maybe 15... If you had a good experience there, it was an "underling" that did it, if you had a bad experience, it was also an "underling" that did it.

Quality: Quality is a matter of perspective and climbers tend to be all over the map. Some climbers will squeal with joy over their shoes being resoled with old car tires and gorilla glue while others will smash out your windshield because they can see the seam. If you walk into a shop with a 12 year old pair of Mythos, dont expect the shoes to come back looking like a Moccasym. Just because your buddys asymmetrically shoe came back assymetrical dont expect your Mythos to.

Timing: Climbers in general aren't very good at long term planning. While a 6 week turn around is definitely too long, when you ask for next day service, for the most part you are asking for a compromise on quality. Each glue step should have 8 hours curing time. If you need rands and half soles (if you get rands done, yes, you need half soles as well. Look at how the shoe is made and you will understand) That is two eight hour curing periods, these are consecutive not concurrent curing periods. Many times when you ask for your shoes to be rushed, these curing times will get rushed as well resulting in an inferior bond. Also, if a customer is asking for a rush service much of the time this implies that they will be climbing on the shoes shortly after they get their shoes back. Once a pair of shoes is resoled, allowing as much time as possible to elapse between when they are put together and when they are climbed on allows for a better bond.

Lastly, have patience with anybody you work with. Shit happens and things dont always go perfectly. While I understand not wanting to work with somebody who screwed up your shoes again, understand that it may be fluke. You may have been the unlucky customer that things went wrong with. Give the resoler a chance to make it better. Dont jump on the internet and start telling the world that they suck.

I highly recommend Barry's Resoles in Auberry, CA. By far the best work I've had done on my shoes. I've used Page, Yosemitebum/Evolve and others without problems, but Barry's work is superb. I believe he's a one-man operation, either way the work is consistently of high quality and he's just a really nice guy.

Some more opinions re. Barry at http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=251746&tn=40

Barry's Resoles:

half soles stealth onyxx $36

half soles stealth c4 $34

rand repair (ea.) $10

s/h $7

ea. add. pr. $2

Barry's Resoles

41585 Auberry Road

Auberry, CA 93602

ph: 559/855-4511

+1