Question for the engineers.

MATT_B

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Employment for anyone over 45 won't be. I've seen enough age discrimnation to know that high tech hates anyone over 40 and with a family. On the flip side of that I'm young and single so they assume I'm a great hire who's willing to workhard to earn them their millions :smirk:

Actually I work with several consulting engineers who are working on their 2nd or 3rd retirement and just can't seem to make it stick, they seem to get bored and come back. One guy actually started at Boeing on the original 727 design team...... Further they're experience is absolutely invaluable to what I do. Quite a few folks over 50 to tell the truth, and if we could find people with the right experience and background, we'd hire a couple more in a heart beat. We've had open positions for a year, and can't find qualified people to fill them all.

If your company is truly booming then it is only a matter of time before you either

- get bought out by a bigger wheel

- someone rips off your design and makes it for half the price or

- you go public and then you start working for the stock holders

Basically you'll come join me on the big wheel sometime...

Then again what do I know? I'm not an engineer... I just yell at them :laf:

We shipped our first 1000 unit between the late 90's and early 2006. We'll ship our second 1000 between 2006 and the end of this year. However were a partnership with Boeing, (even though we only have 45 people and are completely independent) so no chance of being bought out anytime soon :P

People have tried to rip off our design... It's usefull having the patent, and the original designer, and the OEM all on your side, not to mention a corner on the market by contract for half the commercial planes flying :) A few companies have ripped of the design for business jets but that's actually the purvey of our other parent company so it's a rather indirect and minor impact, Airbus considered it and after much noise it suddenly and very quietly dissapeared. And we can still do it better and cheaper.... Pretty much we're awfully secure for the forseeable future :)

Well, and that's not to mention that we have a patent on the next gen. and are pretty much waiting to develop it until the current gen is pretty much sold out.

I suppose we could go public at some point..... In which case i'm buying all the stock options I can leverage and retiring shortly thereafter :P

I'd certainly be willing to admit that I lucked into a pretty unique and incredible engineering workplace though!

So pretty much I'll come join you on the wheel when I decides it's a good career move to go manage a program or two at Boeing :)

heh, aerospace, eh? remember 2001? talk to us in 5 years.

you can't find "qualified" applicants? OMFG! I can't find infinite strength materials either! welcome to the real fucking world. Tell HR to deal with it. The next exec who is quoted saying that I'm going to kick in the yambag - especially if they've some "we only hire the top 5%" bullshit

you can't find "qualified" applicants? OMFG! I can't find infinite strength materials either! welcome to the real fucking world. Tell HR to deal with it. The next exec who is quoted saying that I'm going to kick in the yambag - especially if they've some "we only hire the top 5%" bullshit

someone's a little jaded :/

someone's a little jaded :/

Yes, I heard that same bullshit before. And then the bubble burst and they laid off 90% of the workers.

If they really want to attract and keep more smart, talented people in engineering perhaps they should make, by increasing the pay flexibility and hours, engineering a profession that attracts smart talented people. It's simple market forces at work .

Well, once again, so long as gas and oil is expensive we should be in good shape :P (We make winglets which deliver about a 5% fuel savings, and are priced for a 2 year return on the customers investment at current fuel prices, give or take a bit.) So unless people stop flying.....

And it's not that we are looking for only the best and the brightest or some such thing, but we can only sustain a certain ratio of new hires to experienced engineers, and right now were about at that limit (1:1). The Loads community is just a very very small one, that pretty much regardless of education requires an apprenticeship. I heard an estimate last year of 300 to 400 people in the US.

And Tell HR to deal with it :roflmao: We don't have an HR group :P She left a month ago. The engineers do all the recruiting anyway.

Yes, I heard that same bullshit before. And then the bubble burst and they laid off 90% of the workers.

If they really want to attract and keep more smart, talented people in engineering perhaps they should make, by increasing the pay flexibility and hours, engineering a profession that attracts smart talented people. It's simple market forces at work .

Hey, I don't disagree with you.