patagucci and more

glassgowkiss

. A couple years ago a friend lent me “Let My People Surf” by Yvon Chouinard. I read it and was really impressed and after doing a bit more research I find myself going out of my way to purchase most of my clothes from Patagonia. Yup, the catalog has a lot of non technical street clothes. I’m actually pretty psyched about that. Like most of us I have a job to go to and need to wear non climbing clothes during the work week. Accordingly I’m really happy that Patagonia offers a place where I can buy clothes from a company that sets a great example of what companies should be, but than few are, or give a crap about being. You folks can flame them all you want about high prices and street wear but if you do any research and actually think about it the reality is that the stuff costs exactly what it should. Yup, I buy mostly Patagonia. I'm certainly not made of money or any highly paid IT person. I just have my priorities.

Anyone with half a head on their shoulders knows full well that America is stuck in a Wal Mart mentality and that most only care about cheap goods no matter what the societal or environmental costs. The fact is that the costs of most of the crap we buy doesn’t reflect the real, true cost in the long term. Cheap goods are cheap because they come at the expense of others less fortunate and the planet. When a company like Patagonia actually devotes an enormous amount of time to everything they make and exactly what the impacts are of every decision, it costs more to make stuff and the extra cost get passed on to the consumer. And no I’m not talking about Patagonia just giving some proceeds back to the community and environment. They carefully consider everything. Where their materials come from, the longevity of a product, the environmental costs of how far and by what method things are shipped, packaging, where they locate their stores and what type of buildings they use and how they are refurbished. They also pay their employees decent and provide a better perks. That all costs money.

If you don’t want to pay so much than simply go to REImart and there are plenty of manufacturers who sell a similar shirt or jacket for less. You can pass the legacy of your decisions on to future generations because you were too cheap to pay the extra $$ for something that is in fact well worth the extra money. Or hey, why don’t we all just suck it up and buy one pair of pants and wear them until they are worn out and can’t be repaired anymore rather than owning 4 pairs of cheap pants. Anyone who bitches about Patagonia’s prices should look in their closets. If you own more than one version of any piece of outdoor clothing than quit your bitching because you are one of the problem not the solution. The stuff may seem expensive but when you buy one good quality item and use it and repair it until it can no longer be used than you will see that the price really isn’t that much. In the book Yvon even laments the fact that much of the technical products are not affordable to the people that they really are designed for. Problem is that they cost what they cost when you do business in a responsible manner. To offer lower cost goods you’d have to simple cut corners and pass off the real costs to others like 99% of businesses today. Sad but true.

Sorry about the rant but I’m just tired of people complaining about how much things cost.

sorry to burst your bubble, but what you are saying doesn't make any sense. Patagonia, along with BD, Metolius (except harnesses and cams), Mammut and even Alpinist relocated their production to China. Hmm- maybe you can explain to me how does it fit into your "feel good"theory? these items are produced in exact same factories as the good that end up in wallmart! let me remind you that workers in china are paid pennies per hour and the environmental regulations are faaar more lax compared to those in the us. so how does it fit into "environmentally friendly" category?

I buy from Feathered Friends and I have a lot of Wild Things gear. but let's face it- patagucci isn't producing their stuff in the US anymore.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prepare yea the way for the coming hoards.

We have no defenses.

They will beat us with their ability to sell us stuff.

We will not be able to withstand their tempting offers and diversity of wares.

Then they will have money and start travelling.

We will see them arrive in busses, disembarking, snapping endless inane photos and re-embarking for the next trampled spot.

After a couple trips here, they will start buying our land.

Then OUR businesses will start catering to THEIR needs.

Oh how sullied we will feel.

Capitalism will fall, fall, fall,

into the hands of billions of consumers who speek very little english.

Imagine going to Walmart or REI and having to get help reading the label.

Imagine the clerk having to find someone who can speak english.

Oh the horror.

Industrialization will cover the world with its economies of scale. Nothing will be the same except the eternal recurrance of it all.

You are Patagonia's target market Carl.

They named a jacket after me :snugtop:

The hot carl jacket?

I agree that buying used is the way to go. As a matter of fact, I don't even buy--I have clothing/gear exchange parties. Everyone brings what they don't use anymore as well as bring a friend, a snack, and a bottle of booze. We all run around trying on stuff, taking what we want, leaving what we brought, and getting drunk. Everything left over gets donated to charity. Its fun and it's free.

I agree that buying used is the way to go. As a matter of fact, I don't even buy--I have clothing/gear exchange parties. Everyone brings what they don't use anymore as well as bring a friend, a snack, and a bottle of booze. We all run around trying on stuff, taking what we want, leaving what we brought, and getting drunk. Everything left over gets donated to charity. Its fun and it's free.

I've been to one of those except it was with significant others, not clothing. Way more fun that way.

I've been to one of those except it was with significant others, not clothing. Way more fun that way.

Did you manage to trade your goat for a nice ewe?

BAWAHAHAHAHA

I ended up with a nice porter. I got screwed sickie

in short

They carefully consider everything.

Yup, just like God. I, too, once wanted to know where everything came from and where it went, especially the world-wide flow of money pumping through stores, houses, banks, governments, and under tables. But now I just use whatever clothes I find left on the floor by other household members. This approach is a good fit to my climbing aspirations. I could buy with impunity because frontal lobe dementia saves me from responsibility or guilt. I find plenty of cash on the floor, too, but need it for potato chips, and I'm not trusted with major purchases.

I remember Yvon selling pins from his trunk on a visit to the Gunks, then he put out a small newsletter of gear, then the Lose Your Dreams and You Will Lose Your Mind catalog. Within a few years the catalog itself became the most remarkable Patagonia product. Kept waiting to see someone I knew but Dick Cilley was the only person I ever recognized in it.

I am the rich climber everyone likes to complain about, but I will never wear Patagonia. My wife loves their clothes, but I absolutely refuse to allow any of their crap into my house.

As a company, Patagonia has chosen to focus on genetics and GMOs as thier number one environmental priority. The sheer stupidity and arrogance of this stance is what has turned me away from the company.

I took a look at their web site and it looks to me as they are interested in quite a bit more than just genetics (?). They have a decent grants program, seem to be involved in a wide campaign for ANWR, LEED certify new buildings, encourage recycling, etc. Really not bad and much better than most corporations. I'll give them points for making a good attempt. And generally I've found their gear functional and long-lasting. I still have thier first article of clothing, that odd pile jacket that shed water but couldn't be stuffed into a small ball. I use it for odds and ends despite the grease stains from rebuilding that '69 VW bus engine.