PRUSIK WEST RIDGE SOLO (LIGHT) 9.15.07???

Jarred_Jackman

I'm heading into Prusik to climb the West Ridge Saturday, anybody interested? I'm planning on soloing the route and bringing a thin static line for rapping the standard descent. I don't have a permit so am planning on just hiking in, climbing, then hiking out all via Snow Creek Wall trailhead. I'm planning on getting into town later Friday night and leaving sometime Saturday morning probably in the dark. I will most likely take a little nap in the sun somewhere after the climb. Not looking for a new land speed record, just want to get out and have some fun and see the WR, have only seen the Beckey South route so far. Email jarredjackman@gmail.com if interested.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're looking for a partner for solo climbing? :confused:

a brother can't want some small-talk 'long the way?

i've done that roundtrip b4 - a long damn hike for just a little climbing - if you can find a partner would def recommend doing 1 of the south face routes instead, or if you want to stick to the dominant hiking theme, then do the circumnav back out through lake colchuck after WR

Yeah I know, I haven't been climbing much lately and have been hiking a ton and have a new backpack from Gossamer that weighs 16oz and is abut 3900 cubic inches, so I'm stoked to try it out. And I love that area, haven't been in a few years. Do you know how many miles that hike is approx, I was thinking around 9 miles each way but I might be under. Thought also about round trip out AssGuard Pass but wouldn't have a car waiting for me there.

Jared....I think the approach is ~ 10 miles and ~ 6,000 VF coming up snow lake with the last little bit of it scrambly. We did it in a day last year, and were surprisingly spanked considering it's a pretty nice trail almost the whole way.

We timed it so daylight was just breaking as we passed snow lake as the trail is very easy to follow by headlamp.

Relatively exposed? How about VERY exposed. There's a sequence of more than two no-good-handhold moves above a steep face. That is, if you're soloing and a foot blows, you're dead.

I tried soloing it one time after an ascent of the South Face. I kept moving up two moves, moving back down. I couldn't summon the nerve to continue. But that was just me. As they say, YMMV!

Good luck!

The larches are in bloom?? Is it spring already?

Pardon me, the larches have already bloomed. Right now they should be a lovely golden color.

And hey, everyone else: WTF?? The guy just wants to go chill out in the mountains for a day, climb some stellar granite, and play with his new gear. It seems like y'all are trying to tell him he should stay at home and read his guidebook all weekend.

Chuck is right. You have to be long on huevos.

I wasn't either. Neither was my partner. We found a stuck chunk of rope around to the left, freed it and used it and a couple found slings to protect the moves.

Can you get out of work at 2PM Friday?

If so, join me for the West Ridge of Stuart for Fri-Sat.

Similar views and 10X the 5.4 climbing.