Progress Report

murraysovereign

"Progress is being made... stay the course... we can start withdrawing next summer maybe... complex and difficult challenges remain... but it's all good, really... oh, except for Iran - Iran is a big problem, we really need to do something about Iran... thanks, Congress, for all the money... Oh, did I mention Iran?"

So, Iraq is still a mess, but the Surge is working to plan, which means that by next summer the extra troops can be withdrawn from Baghdad... and redeployed to Iran.

Edited by murraysovereign

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't the Democrat majority in congress getting us out of there?

If a D gets into the presidency, and we have 4 years of Democratic leadership - we'll still be there, and the left-wing press and all you leftists will suddenly cease talking in terms like "quagmire". Magically it will all be better - with nary a change at all, except a D indicating he president's party affiliation.

I seriously doubt that, No Dems have Cheney's balls, and it takes real stones to stand there and pull off the lies that it takes to keep us in Iraq. If we really knew the whole truth of what was going on over there the military would be pulled out so quick their heads would spin. We need to let them fight their CIVIL WAR and get out of it, and thats what it is. They can call it the Insurgency all they want. It is a civil war and it won't stop until they work out their differences and if history is any indicator of the future that will NEVER happen.

The resident Phi Beta Kappa is advised to review a middle-school civics class curriculum - paying particular attention to the concepts of "presidential veto," "congressional override" and "2/3 majority" (this last one may require a math review).

I hasten to remind you that the U.S. Senate is currently comprised of 49 Republicans, 49 Democrats, and two Independents; the House of Representatives is 233 Democrats and 202 Republicans.

Don't you feel stupid when you actually believe the garbage you hear on fox news and conservative talk radio? :laf:

The resident Phi Beta Kappa is advised to review a middle-school civics class curriculum - paying particular attention to the concepts of "presidential veto," "congressional override" and "2/3 majority" (this last one may require a math review).

I hasten to remind you that the U.S. Senate is currently comprised of 49 Republicans, 49 Democrats, and two Independents; the House of Representatives is 233 Democrats and 202 Republicans.

It's funny how during the Republican congress of 1994-2004, whose majority was not substantively different to the current Democrat majority was such a threat to all you Dems - they were a leviathon that could not be stopped! The horror! The humanity. Now you've changed your tune. An analogous majority is "impotent". Typical. And laughable. And keep rationalizing as your party does little different than the last. They do want to stay in power you know - that's the goal.

You forgot the part about the president.

I don't recall anything about a leviathan that couldn't be stopped (when the prez was Clinton). I seem to recall a certain majority being pretty impotent in it's partisan attempts to throw out the standing president.

Feigning ignorance and making shit up as debating tactics does not suit you, KKK.

In case you haven't understood (though I think you have, it's just that you can't refute with mischaracterizing), a simple majority IS a leviathan that is very difficult to stop, WHEN the president is also on its side.

Your arguments are disingenuous. I'm thinking you are actually just trolling.

Can you tell us which freedoms of yours that the ACLU took away?

Edited by chucK

In case you haven't understood (though I think you have, it's just that you can't refute with mischaracterizing), a simple majority IS a leviathan that is very difficult to stop, WHEN the president is also on its side.

Your arguments are disingenuous. I'm thinking you are actually just trolling.

Can you tell us which freedoms of yours that the ACLU took away?

1994-2000: R controls congress, D controls presidency

Right, I don't remember that as an unstoppable leviathan. You merely posit that "all us dems" were screaming that. Take away that made up "fact" and your argument falls apart.

But, whatever, you know as well as everybody else that a small majority cannot overrule the president in terms of executive policy (commander in chief).

Your argument that it is some big failing of the newly elected democratic majority that we're not out of Iraq 8 months after they took over is completely absurd and disingenuous (i.e. you spout this nonsense even though I'm sure you aren't actually stupid enough to believe it).

BTW, this "unstoppable leviathan" verbiage reminds me a lot of JayB, you getting this from his blog or something?

Democrats lack the 60-vote majority required in the Senate to override the filibusters promised and practiced by Republicans who support the war.

nice try. there's another answer (the true one)

KK, the Democratic majority you speak of does not exist.

On more than one occasion since the 2006 elections, the Democrats have needed a 60-vote majority to override the Republican filibuster that blocks all proposed votes to get us out of Iraq. Even when four Republicans sided with them during July 2007, the Democrats still did not have that majority.

Again, there are only 49 Democrats among the 100 members of the the United States Senate today. It takes 60 votes to override a filibuster.

BTW, this "unstoppable leviathan" verbiage reminds me a lot of JayB, you getting this from his blog or something?

Jay, like me, has a well-developed lexicon

Jesus, I almost dropped a kidney on that one. From the Einstein whose ideas don't get much more cogent than "lick sack, asshat".

BIG IDEAS, EVEN BIGGER LEXICON.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I say the Administration pulled off another major victory on the War on Rhetoric today with the hundreds of references to "Al Queda in Iraq". That ought to help reinforce one of the false ideas that a lot of Americans use to justify our ooccupation of Iraq.

It was a smart Rovian move on the part of the deciders.