beta on mini-pearbiners?

builder206

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call. I tossed my heavy stuff and bought a couple of DMM Sentinels. At that time they were the lightest out there, plus I like the quality.

p-A262!559.jpg

Specs:

Weight: 48g (I've seen 54 gms on the DMM site as well)

Major Axis Strength: 24kN

Gate Open Strength: 7kN

Minor Axis Strength: 8kN

Gate Clearance: 18mm

DMM site says:

"The Sentinel is the lightest mini HMS on the market, it was designed to compliment the Bugette yet also works well with the "Bug" and the new "V Twin" . It fit's snugly on most belay loops reducing the likely hood of cross loading.

It's deep basket and good gate opening make it a fantastic and versatile rigging biner too.

The Sentinel utilises I Beam technology a process where our designers have optimised the aluminium needed to create light but incredibly strong carabiners. It is also anodised for protection against the elements especially coastal and rigorous mountain enviroments."

It works OK for HMS belaying and rapping. (little small for rapping, but it works).

BTW, speaking of shaving weight, the Trango Superfly locker weight is 41 gms!

It's almost too small, and you definatly cannot use it for HMS style, but damn thats a light locker.

1309315.jpg

I have 5 coming right now to me.

From REI site:

"At 41 grams, the Trango SuperFly Screwlock carabiner is one of the lightest lockers available.

* Ideal for setting up anchors, the traditional screwgate locking method makes this carabiner extremely versatile

* Get a few and add them to the rope end of a couple of your 'draws with no worries about coming unclipped

* Large gate opening eases clip in; asymmetric shape helps ensure proper loading on optimal working axis and offers a superb strength-to-weight ratio"

On another site someone just told me doing a tie-off with a mini-pearbiner is tough. Just not enough room for the pass-through loop.

Also this poster said doing a Munter with a fat rope on a min-pearbiner is hard, but using a Munter would be a Plan B if my device took a flyer so that is not a big concern. But the tie-off thing does worry me. I guess I will buy one then try the tie-off...

On another site someone just told me doing a tie-off with a mini-pearbiner is tough. Just not enough room for the pass-through loop.

Also this poster said doing a Munter with a fat rope on a min-pearbiner is hard, but using a Munter would be a Plan B if my device took a flyer so that is not a big concern. But the tie-off thing does worry me. I guess I will buy one then try the tie-off...

"Tie off"? :confused: "Just not enough room for the pass-through loop"? :confused:

Other site? :confused:

You have link or explanation? :wazup: (Former F*word) I'm just old I don't know what the (Former F*word) you're talkin' about.

Edited by billcoe

"Tie off"? :confused: "Just not enough room for the pass-through loop"? :confused:

You have link or explanation? :wazup: Fuck I'm just old I don't know what the f you're talkin' about.

http://ropedup.wordpress.com/2007/07/10/how-to-lock-off-belay-device/ see "Mule Knot on ATC"

for tying off your leader when he bonks his noggin and takes a nap...you get out of the belay, go through his pack, and grab the cool stuff

and pliz watch your language, I am an innocent & naive newbie barely weaned from his momma's apron strings

You have link or explanation? :wazup: (f word)I'm just old I don't know what the (nother f word) you're talkin' about.

http://ropedup.wordpress.com/2007/07/10/how-to-lock-off-belay-device/ see "Mule Knot on ATC"

for tying off your leader when he bonks his noggin and takes a nap...you get out of the belay, go through his pack, and grab the cool stuff

and pliz watch your language, I am an innocent & naive newbie barely weaned from his momma's apron strings

Ahhh OK.

BTW Thanks for the reminder, my son was saying something similar yesterday. :wave:

BTW, never had to do the mule knot, but I'd just prussic it off to the anchor, tie a backup knot and slip out of the whole mess if I had too.

Maybe this one will do better at cheering you up:

Vita nostra brevis est

Brevi finietur.

Venit mors velociter

Rapit nos atrociter

Nemini parcetur

means:

Our life is brief

It will be finished shortly.

Death comes quickly

Atrociously, it snatches us away.

No one is spared.

Live long and prosper. :wave:

Yeah, usually it goes downhill much faster, by now it should be either:

A) A major political argument/discussion

B) 4 posts of one liner jokes followed immediately by some harsh Personal mudslinging and veiled threats of physical violence.

C) Bolt war argument thread.

D) All of the above.

Oh don't worry, theres still time for it to go to shit. Fuck there I go again, I can't believe I just posted the S word.

Sorry!

And to think this started as a question about gear...

I've had the damnest time trying a munter on a mini-pear. It sucked. On the other hand, it did work, and I've got thinner ropes now. That was with an old beat up mammut 10.?, and I suspect that with the new 9.2, it'd be a ton easier.

It's only $10. Get one and report back! ;)

Gaudeamus igitur

Juvenes dum sumus

Post jucundum juventutem

Post molestam senectutem

Nos habebit humus.

means

Let us rejoice therefore

While we are young.

After a pleasant youth

After a troublesome old age

The earth will have us.

Wow, what a blast from the past... in 6th grade we were forced to memorize that (in Latin) ... supposed to sing it for our parents. And no this was not at a private school.

Gaudeamus igitur

Juvenes dum sumus

Post jucundum juventutem

Post molestam senectutem

Nos habebit humus.

means

Let us rejoice therefore

While we are young.

After a pleasant youth

After a troublesome old age

The earth will have us.

Wow, what a blast from the past... in 6th grade we were forced to memorize that (in Latin)

I had to memorize that in high school Latin class. Spent my life savings when I graduated to go to Italy and snuck up to the Forum steps and sang that as loud as I could. Cool song.

If you're looking at the mini-pearabiner I would get the Vaporlock instead (also BD), it's lighter and to me it feels like it lowers/rappels smoother. I haven't tried doing a munter with anything over 9.8mm but I imagine it would be quite a jam in either carabiner.

The DMM sentinel is a nice carabiner too, but I personally can NOT stand DMM screwgates and much prefer the action on BD and Petzl lockers.

Also, those superfly lockers are the bomb, I have 1 and I'll probably replace the rest of my old rusty quicksilver lockers before long.