Partners desired

lisa

Any good looking, saavy and single climbers out there? Actually, anyone who enjoys bagging a peak on weekends would suffice, I know this isn't a dating site. I usually do ski climbs early season, I'm a pinhead, looking at trying the splitboard next season. Anyway, I do have a dog who enjoys bagging peaks as well, so I don't do much rock anymore, although I could leaver her home on occasion.

Let's go climbing!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm good looking, I'm savvy, I'm single.

I like bagging a chick, uhh I mean sneaking a peek, uhh I mean climbing on top, dammit! I mean, yeah I like to climb too. I don't do rock anymore either, I've switched to meth, cheaper and the guy down the block cooks up a batch weekly.

Sorry Lisa, I couldn't resist. I'm a little far away in Portland, but I think there are plenty of guys up your way that will reply.

If you are the Lisa that I think you are-the one that ran up Mt Rainier a couple of years ago in front of me, while her male rope-mates were either laying in thier tent or hanging on her rope-I AM WARNING ALL OF YOU MEN OUT THERE!!! LISA IS NOT A PEAK-BAGGER, SHE IS A MOUNTAINEERING GODDESS WHO WILL MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE LITTLE LORD FAUNTELOROY. YOU HAD BETTER START TRAINING TWO MONTHS BEFORE YOU CLIMB WITH HER!!! Oh yeah, Lisa; my broken back has healed.

Ok, no studs needed, just fellow climbing enthusiasts. Strickland, have you climbed the Sisters? I can't believe they called off the search for the missing man from Wa. Having lost my brother in an avy back in the eighties and working for mountain rescue myself, I find it hard to give up on searching. My thoughts are with his family and the heartache of the unknown in which they suffer.

On a lighter note, I may be moving to Bend next fall to take a job, not sure if I'm ready to be land locked.

Climb on!

Is that you Mike? I can't believe it, I was just telling that story to a friend while we were up at good old Maude/7 Finger last weekend. How the hell are you, heard you got hitched, right on. Is Helen still around? I'm living in Bhm now, worked as the climbing ranger on Baker last year, full time gig, reminded me of the good old days on Rainier. Shoot me a mail outdoorenthusiast1@excite.com.

I never worked on Rainier's North side, just hung out and climbed with ranger friends that worked at Shurman. '96-'98. Has anyone climbed the Tahoma sickle route in Sunset Amplitheater in the past year or two?

quote:

Originally posted by lisa:

Strickland, have you climbed the Sisters?

You naughty girl you, I'm not Catholic, but even I wouldn't fool around with a nun! (the latest Tom Robbins character didn't seem to mind it though).

Seriously though, no I haven't been on the Sisters, haven't lived here long enough to do more than a few routes in the mountains. The traverse looks like a nice long day, wonder if that's any good.

I wouldn't think nuns would be much fun either, too much guilt involved \"/. I gather you to big walls? How did you hurt your finger, trying to cram it in a crack? on a wall that is...How's portland for living?

Actually tweaked the finger...drumroll: bouldering in the gym, how lame!

Haven't been on a wall since March in Zion.

I prefer small towns (lived in a town of 300 in Utah and loved it), but of all the cities I've spent extended time in...Atlanta, CO. Springs, Denver, Salt Lake, Chicago, St Louis, Boston, Orlando, D.C., Seattle, and San Fran... Portland is the best hands down. I chose it specifically for its access to resources, cool people, progressive politics, amazing beer/food/coffee, cool summer weather (I grew up in the steam bath/sprawl monster known as Atlanta), low crime, low rent, and relatively small size. Just don't tell anyone, ok?

Nahh, even with my limited short term memory I think I'd remember that one. The scene down there is bigger than you might think. There is multi-pitch quartzite and granite within a hour and a half and an unbelievable amount of bullet-hard sandstone within two hours. On a side note, the NW Georgia, NE Alabama, SE Tennessee (TAG)area is probably the best caving area in the country and most of the cave entrances are right at the junction of the sandstone and limestone bands in the mountains...which means climb on the sandstone all day, rest a bit, eat some shrooms and cave all night. On Pigeon Mt in GA, there is the popular bouldering area of Rocktown, Lost Wall-a mile long trad cragging cliff, and a few caves including Ellison's with a 80ft followed by a 100ft then a 600ft pit drop, another has a few miles of horizontal passage complete with many tight squeezes, underground rivers, and even sumped passages. There's also mountain biking trails and even first ascents to be had...but I'm not saying where! In the south when winter hits and the weather sucks there's no ice or snow to be had so we turn to caving..night or day, hot or cold, rain or shine it doesn't matter because it's always 60 degrees in the cave.

Hey Lisa,

Do you have any suggestions for good ski mountaineering trips for pinheads w/ dogs? I have a 70 lbs. lab with tons of energy. I'd like to find a few places that: a) are outside of a nat'l park, b) don't have cravasses, c) are steep enough to be interesting but not so much so that Scout (my pooch) will get freaked out and d) are in reasonable proximity to Seattle.

Likewise, cragging can be problamatic with a dog though I sometimes do it. I hate it when Scout becomes an annoyance to other climbers and I fear for his safety from falling rocks.

Climbing with dogs may be a subject for another thread, but it sounds you might know a thing or two about it and I hate leaving Scout home while I'm off enjoying nature.

What is the saying? Free your heels and your dog will follow?

BTW, there are more than a few dirty dogs who frequent this website so beware.

I actually realy like the Southeast. I had the fortune to climb in Red River gorge last summer. Despite the heat, it was a great experience, and definetly the 'tip of the iceburg' as far as rock in the SE. The scene was remarkably friendly and layed-back. There were tons of sport climbers, but any major bolted crags like that. I did meet this southern off-width master who had climbed with B Jackson in vedavoo. It was pretty cool, and desperate, following some of his leads.

My girlfriend's from Tennessee, so we're going to plan a SE climbing trip at some point in the future.

Thanks Matt, I'll heed your advise. As for the ski/mountaineering w/the pooch, Sulphide on Shuksan is great early Spring before the road completely melts, no rangers, and few people, did it this Easter, saw no-one for 2 beautiful days. Baker you can bring your dog, my pooch summited last summer, just complaints from other climbers about being unroped w/a dog, I was skiing the route.

Close to Seattle, lots of awesome stuff at Chrystals backcountry. Pilchuk or Dickerman in the winter can be done. As for others, I'm still investigating options.

I've been thinking that Red Mountain or other areas off of Snoqualmie Pass would be good spots to tour with dogs. Anyone concur?

Unfortunatly my dog is getting old, her hips are failing and can't go skiing anymore frown.gif

[This message has been edited by specialed (edited 06-29-2001).]

We should start a thread on climbs to do with dogs. My pooch is a greater swiss mountain dog, so he is destined to climb. I am pretty sure that dogs are allowed on St. Helens, so we were planning that for his first big summit. I haven't tried to look into this too much yet, because he is still growing (87 lbs now) and I can't put a pack on him yet, but by next season he should be ready for the pack.

Also, has anyone had problems with dogs on the glacier like sunburn or eye problems? Dagen got a little pink near his mouth at Smith last time I took him there, so I started to wonder if he needs sunscreen! But that is because he is white there where he got burned and the fur is thin. That got me thinking about if my dog was going to go snowblind on the glacier...

Here is one of Dagen's Greater Swiss buddys, climbing high...

http://www.greaterswiss.com/images/cloe_pikespeak2.jpg

[This message has been edited by hollyclimber (edited 06-29-2001).]

I used to own a dog that was a Great Dane, pitbull, australian shepard X. He had really short fur (almost none) under his belly, and I used to slather organic sun cream on his belly just in case when we were on snow fields in the sun. Those mountain dogs have lots more fur than my dog did, so I wouldn't worry about it. I worried about his eyes too, but what are you going to do? train him to wear glacier glasses? I'd imagine if you've got a fancy-pants mountain dog, they're genetically evolved to handle bright sun.

On one spring/summer ski trip, my dog started freaking out towards the end of the day, wouldn't go down easy slopes, etc. And he's usually fearless. In retrospect I think the sun might have hurt his eyes and vision. The other dog on the trip did just fine. So it probably depends on the breed.

[This message has been edited by specialed (edited 06-29-2001).]

specialed-thanks for the info on your experiences...

but Dagen takes offense to be called a fancy pants smile.gif And, if he did have fancy pants, they would last about 2 seconds, and then they would be ripped to shreds and covered with slobber. Oh, I mean he is really well behaved, so don't worry if I want to bring him on a climb with one of you. usually he just climbs naked.

[This message has been edited by hollyclimber (edited 06-29-2001).]

Hey Holly,

My dog Scout likes to climb naked too, though when he has to he wears his mountainsmith dog pack. :-)

Last time I took him to Vantage his pink nose started to become burned so I lathered it with some SPF 45 and he was happy with that. I would love to take Scout on up St. Helens too, but after foolishly trying to hike w/ him to Camp Muir and getting threatened by some volunteer patrol I've shied away from populated mtns.

Question:

Has anyone had luck with putting doggie boots on their pooch to protect its feet from frost bite and/or blisters from sharp rocks?

P.S. Apologies to Lisa for making your dating service thread into a pooch thread.

After skiing off the summit of Adams and coming down to the top of the South spur, I was amazed of how many people were coming up with dogs. I love dogs, but snow sticks to mine so he can't come on trips on snow. Anyway, it was a bluebird day and I was wondering if they could go snow blind or get seriously damaged not wearing sunglasses?