The bike-truck accident

ashw_justin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I can't go a week without some idiot almost hitting me. It sometimes makes me wonder when my "nine lives" will expire. Must remain vigilant. Wear loud colors, red flashing strobe on frame and pack, and like Wayne says "wear a helmet."

I see a lot of dumb ass shit every day. Have to assume NOTHING from the drivers, and be totally paranoid. It sucks. but I rather not get nailed by 3000+ lbs of metal. :anger::noway:

I can't go a week without some idiot almost hitting me. It sometimes makes me wonder when my "nine lives" will expire. Must remain vigilant. Wear loud colors, red flashing strobe on frame and pack, and like Wayne says "wear a helmet."

I see a lot of dumb ass shit every day. Have to assume NOTHING from the drivers, and be totally paranoid. It sucks. but I rather not get nailed by 3000+ lbs of metal. :anger::noway:

I try to assume that they don't see me, plus that they are drunk, and also in a hurry to get away after robbing a bank.

Cyclists need to follow the rules of the road - just like cars. I see a lot of them running red lights after a brief slow down. I see a lot of them alternating on and off sidewalks and staying mounted on crosswalks for personal convenience. I rarely see them use proper hand signals. Maybe it's time we taxed and tagged bikes just like cars.

Cyclists need to follow the rules of the road - just like cars. I see a lot of them running red lights after a brief slow down. I see a lot of them alternating on and off sidewalks and staying mounted on crosswalks for personal convenience. I rarely see them use proper hand signals. Maybe it's time we taxed and tagged bikes just like cars.

yeah, and I see drivers trying to "beat" bikes to intersections, cutting them off to make right turns; i see cars refusing to stop for cyclists and pedestrians at MARKED crosswalks; I see drivers pull out to make a turn without looking both ways; I see cars zip out of driveways full speed without considering someone might be about to cross their path; in short, I see drivers of cars do stupid shit all the time.

perhaps it's time to make driver's licenses a hell of a lot harder to get... and KEEP.

I'd be for taxing and tagging bikes if all that money went solely to educating drivers about cyclists and creating more and safer cycling options on roads.

that's the last thing we need. people need to be encouraged to bike, bus, walk, rather than get discouraged.

speaking of which, people, when you are on the bus, turn off your damn cell phones, wear deodorant, and no I don't feel like rubbing elbows with you because you sit by me. thnx.

I ride the bus. I'm not going to begrudge people the right to talk to someone, next to them, or in New York.

It can be annoying, but that's just the kind of thing you have to deal with if you decide to forgo the single-occupancy vehicle.

You have to coexist with OTHER PEOPLE :shocked:

I ride the bus. I'm not going to begrudge people the right to talk to someone, next to them, or in New York.

It can be annoying, but that's just the kind of thing you have to deal with if you decide to forgo the single-occupancy vehicle.

You have to coexist with OTHER PEOPLE :shocked:

talking is one thing, LOUD talking on the cell phone so every damn person can hear every detail of your conversation is another.

Dude, everyone on the bus talks loud. Add to the fact that usually everybody else is sorta bored and can't get away, you're basically right there in the conversation. It's forced eavesdropping (unless you have the refuge of your IPOD isolation chamber).

Hopefully everyone who talks on the bus, whether it's on a phone or to the person next to them understands that all their co-passengers are paying careful attention to everything they say. I get the idea that some of those dumb teenagers aren't clued into this.

So whatever. It is what it is. But one of the great things about riding the bus is that someone else is doing the driving so you have the freedom to do other things like read, work, or talk to people.

Loud cellphone talkers are a funny phenomenon, that's for sure. You think people would realize after a point that they are yelling, but cells have been around for a while now and I don't see the propensity going down much. My wife practically screams on the cell. It's like I've got a speakerphone on the other end. I hold the phone about two feet away.

Dude, everyone on the bus talks loud.

Dude, no they don't

one of the great things about riding the bus is that someone else is doing the driving so you have the freedom to do other things like read, work, or talk to people.[\quote]

For me I want to use the extra commute time on something productive - reading, and loud talkers sometimes make that impossible. That limits my desire to use the bus. Fortunately I work via a late commute so there's less of these load-talker idiots on the way home by shear law of probability.

Now let's get back to discussing idiot drivers killing cyclists.

Cyclists can legally ride on sidewalks. They are also not legally required to use hand signals, nor are they required to dismount while using crosswalks.

Our favorite 'libertarian' speaks out in favor of more regulation and taxation.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Cyclists can legally ride on sidewalks.

Looks like you're finally right about something.

They are also not legally required to use hand signals

You are incorrect:

Seattle code:

http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scripts/nph-brs.exe?s1=11.44.140&s2=&S3=&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect3=PLURON&Sect5=CODE1&d=CODE&p=1&u=%2F%7Epublic%2Fcode1.htm&r=1&Sect6=HITOFF&f=G

RCW:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.755

Our favorite 'libertarian' speaks out in favor of more regulation and taxation.
Wrong on this one too. I am a moderate-to-conservative Republican. Unlike you, I have never claimed to be of a stripe that I am not. My bicycle taxation suggestion was rhetorical, but, ya know, those nice bike paths aren't free.

...and here's yet another of my complaints against cyclists addressed in the law:

RCW 46.61.770 Riding upon roadways and bicycle paths.

(1) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place shall ride as near to the right side of the right through lane as is safe except as may be appropriate while preparing to make or while making turning movements, or while overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway or highway other than a limited-access highway, which roadway or highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near to the left side of the left through lane as is safe. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway may use the shoulder of the roadway or any specially designated bicycle lane if such exists. (2) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.