Mazda Trucks

MrDoolittle

Mine is a little slow in the passing lane, but otherwise it seems quite adequate. Over the last 20 or so years I've driven a Nissan and two Toyota's, about 100,000 miles each, and the Toy's have been overall more reliable. But for most of us work-a-day weekend warriors, why do you want a truck at all? I've said this before, but it largely seems to be an image thing where guys gotta have a truck even though they actually use it like a car.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a nissan 2wd for several years before totalling it, and now drive a mazda 2wd club cab - I like the mazda's club cab space better, and the truck drives better than the nissan, however the engine (2.2L) has much less power than the comparable Nissan engine. The engine's the main issue I have with the mazda - less power, and generally less reliable- mine's rebuilt and still uses oil. The nissan engine, from what I can tell, and from friends' experiences, is pretty much bulletproof. I like the twin sparkplug setup on it, as well. So between those two, I'll probably replace my mazda with a nissan when I go shopping again, unless someone can give me a better reference elsewhere.

Sorry, don't care for GM or Mopar products.

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Mine is a little slow in the passing lane, but otherwise it seems quite adequate. Over the last 20 or so years I've driven a Nissan and two Toyota's, about 100,000 miles each, and the Toy's have been overall more reliable. But for most of us work-a-day weekend warriors, why do you want a truck at all? I've said this before, but it largely seems to be an image thing where guys gotta have a truck even though they actually use it like a car.

Ha, ha, ha. Come to Canada. Your options for mountaineering in the summer are VASTLY reduced if you don't have 4WD hc. And from most S10s I've seen, they don't cut it in terms of clearance up here. Waterbars in the Squamish area can be three feet deep by three feet across! If you're ever in Whistler and you notice that there's a lot of Tacoma's without bumpers, that's why. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

....do not buy a ford product(mazada)......screw ford.....

I am gonna remember this the next time you want to sit under the canopy of my truck (while it is raining) and drink my beer. [Moon]

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the current new truck models if it's gonna be a climber mobile and occaisional beauty bark/firewood hauler. We had a 95 Ranger 4x4 and it was great (same as a mazda) no problems.

If you are considering full sized trucks, Ford has a new (smaller?) diesel coming out in '03 that will blow your mind as well as the doors off of that newer chevy diesel with the Allison tranny (big problems there buddy)! [Roll Eyes] They are getting insane with 325 hp and 560flbs of tourque. With another $1,000 worth of mods you could increase that by as much as 15% while getting a little better mileage.

Not that I would encourage anyone to waste our precious resources on a monster like that.

You should get one for the wife too! [Razz]

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

Not that I would encourage anyone to waste our precious resources on a monster like that.

unless you are short right?

[laf]
I believe "Little Man" is the more widely accepted term. [Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by MrDoolittle:

Ha, ha, ha. Come to Canada. Your options for mountaineering in the summer are VASTLY reduced if you don't have 4WD hc. And from most S10s I've seen, they don't cut it in terms of clearance up here. Waterbars in the Squamish area can be three feet deep by three feet across! If you're ever in Whistler and you notice that there's a lot of Tacoma's without bumpers, that's why.
[Wink]

That is a common response I get, and one that may have some merit - if you are into true mountain exploration. But if you Canadian's are like most of the American climbers I know, you mostly go to the famous classics, and nearly all of these are destinations that can be reached in any car-- Squamish, Cerise Creek, Lillooet, Roger's Pass, the Bugaboos .... I know lots of owners of 4 x 4 trucks and suv's that are unwilling to drive them even on a brushy road, let along somewhere they might hit a rock or something and they would never consider loading anything into the back that might scratch it.

quote:

quote:

quote:

unless you are short right?

[laf]
I believe "Little Man" is the more widely accepted term.
[Mad]
I thought it was "vertically challenged"? [laf]

I got a Mazda B-2600. It works pretty swell for those mountain roads, but we've had to recurrently fix this annoying problem with it dropping into 4X4 lock without asking. Got it fixed (?) twice with the warranty, then it happened again last year (truck is a '93). They couldn't seem to figure it out at the dealership. Real hassle. (lotta money too [Frown] )

i would have to say negatory on the ford thing as well (even though i worked in a ford shop when i was in high school) seems like every one has some kinda major glitch. like my f-250 if prone to overheating and all carbeurated fords are notoiously cold starters, but the list does on... nissan pickup trucks rule as do the s-10's (erik) but jsut dont get the 2.8, that motor is a piece of shit and it takes 3 hours to just replace the starter! [Eek!]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

DFA's favorite truck is his new Subaru Legacy wagon. So far it's proved itself strong in the passing lane through the mountains, and good for hauling a bunch of lumber from Home Depot. Better gas mileage and ride than the truck, too.

[Razz][Razz][Razz]

Subeage!

And such convenient access for those nogoodnics at Smith with the master keys [Razz]

I've been very happy with my Toyota. Just passed 130K and have done little more than change the oil, filters, etc. and replace a worn CV boot.

I think that the domestics have improved drastically in the last 20 years or so, but Toyotas still rule in terms of reliability, longevity, and resale value. 4WD capabilities are pretty impressive for a stock truck as well. Take a look at what they drive in the mountain towns where they need reliability and performance - mostly toyota trucks and Subaru station wagons.

I need a new truck because mine has a zillion miles on it and it isn't 4X4. I know the gold standard is the Toyota Tacoma, but dam, they're expensive used and seem to have lots of miles on them. Does anyone own a Mazda 2600 or a Nissan 4X4 truck? Are they anywhere near as good as Toyotas? One friend with a mazda says thy're great, but another has spent more on repairs than he paid for it.

doolitte..

do not buy a ford product(mazada)

nissans are not bad.....

look into a hecy s10 w/ 4.3L v6...chevrolet flodded the market with them and that has kept the market value low on these trucks..

i had one...in 3 years put 124K on it...with only one problem...we blew the coil...from jumping another car inncorrectly.

it has the largest cab space out of all the small trucks, the best motor(toyota way underpowered) and the best frame/chassis.

the trucks come with daytime running lights, 2 aibbags, door impact beams 4 wheel anilock disc brakes(no other truck manufactur does that!)

i am biased but the truck fucking ruled!!!!!! i beat the shit out of it...even coming in contact with the guardrail on i-90 and only part of the bummper was damaged!!!!

screw ford and mopar...

and yota's are over rated!!!!

I totally agree with Erik. The 4.3-l V-6 is a killer engine; basically their standby 350 V-8 with two cylinders chopped off. With that I would add a warning against the Chevy 2.8-l; this engine has very shitty reliability ratings. I own Chevies and have thought about the Toyota in the future, but would only consider the V-6.

I started with Toyota, then Ford, Chevy, and just recently back to Toyota. I loved the power, room, and general redneckability of the Ford and Chevy, but reliability was not there, at least compared to the Toyota. Friends have had good luck with the Nissan, but I suspect there is a reason for the Toyota "premium".